Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Default Re: More PTX Buffer Errors: -9128

I am on snow leopard, with a 002r and I also have problems with 1024. It will work sometimes, but then PT will encounter an error (cpu, or other), and 1024 will totally lock up, not playing back any audio until I close that session, pull up another that I know works at 1024, then close that one, and pull up the original again. This is a total pain when I need the 1024 buffer size for huge sessions.
Old 11-13-2011, 10:46 AM

i opened up a few plug in heavy sessions. i have lots of various insts on these different sessions. i checked a few of the sessions and i have: battery, reaktor, ableton rewired, absynth, kontakt 5 with multiple insts in them, guitar rig, i think massive is in one track. those are newer from the komplete 8 ultimate bundle. i always have tons going on though without a hitch for the most part. i know when i'm doing something that will give pt a buffer error. the only demo plug that i might be using in one session is a massey cp4 plug. i could run these sessions easy in pt8. when i tried to open a session that was very full of plugs/tracks etc, right now it hung for a long time on "restoring miscellaneous settings" if maybe that helps? and i was sure i would have to force quit eventually, but by the time i finished writing this it had finally loaded. i type really slow though. i hadn't tried the method of closing and opening another session with less going on to get a fix, but that sounds like a break of flow already. i have to do that with rewired inst sometimes when they close or crash out of order. i'm still checking things out to see what's going on. if someone does have another interface to test that would be great to know if this is digi interface related. i hope there's a simple fix. i noticed a few noises of transition clicks that weren't audible in pt8. those were on an auto tune plug in track that popped where the transition from the tracked area. i don't think that was buffer related... maybe more fade related or something, but i figured i'd throw that out there. i doubt i would've missed that noise before since it was very noticeable, but you never know. on the system usage window, the clip went from a few percent to max for that split second which i'm not familiar with. maybe that happened during the conversion to ptx? i'm just kinda thinking out loud since i'm new to these problems. i usually get pretty lucky with my upgrades and installs or it's an issue i've been able to easily resolve. if i figure anything out new i'll post it.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:10 AM

It's not the VI's because I also experience the problem with very basic sessions. I had an 8 track live recording with no plugins yet that refused to play when I set the buffer size at 1024 samples. Of course I don't need 1024 samples for those kind of sessions but that's not the point. PT shouldn't be doing this. Most of my sessions are sessions that DO need the 1024 buffer.

I tried to take out some of the heavy VI's like Superior Drummer, Structure and IK Multimedia's Philharmonik from a 50+ tracks session but to no avail. At 1024 samples it still comes up with the problem of not playing back.

Avid, what do you say? Any solution to this or do we have to wait for a CS update to get a fix?
Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 AM

By the way, does anyone else also experience a situation where you have to hit the spacebar multiple times before the session starts playing? I have the session loaded into the RAM cache but every once in a while I need to press the spacebar two or three times before it starts playing. This is not just at a 1024 samples (when it does decide to work) but also at lower buffer settings eg 32, 64 or 128 samples.

Once it plays it's very fast and I can get it to play instantly at another spot by clicking in the timeline or jumping to markers.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bortraws View Post
By the way, does anyone else also experience a situation where you have to hit the spacebar multiple times before the session starts playing? I have the session loaded into the RAM cache but every once in a while I need to press the spacebar two or three times before it starts playing. This is not just at a 1024 samples (when it does decide to work) but also at lower buffer settings eg 32, 64 or 128 samples.

Once it plays it's very fast and I can get it to play instantly at another spot by clicking in the timeline or jumping to markers.
Not here,as of yet...

Ronzie

Home rigs:
Mac pro 5,1 2.66 nehalem quadcore (10.12.2 &10.13.1),24g ram,sonnet firewire 400 card, Samsung ssd 3-1T WD Caviar black (internals), 002r, PT 12.6.1 HD & 12.8.2.106).

Macbook Pro 2.5ghz quad (10.12.2),16g ram, 2 X SSD (internal),PT 12.4 HD
Old 11-14-2011, 07:52 AM

I had the space bar issue a few times so far. I thought the battery died or I somehow lost connection. (reminder: I'm Running pt10, 10.6.8, 003) I noticed that I always have issues with the space bar when the midnight plug ins are open too, but the space bar playback issue happened even when no plug in was open. I haven't tested many more older sessions lately cause I already know they will not open @1024 anyway and I'd rather wait for a fix than start changing mixes only to get a fix in a few days. My new sessions I haven't taken too far yet, but I feel that I already have to switch to 256 way sooner than I would in pt8. So I think it's something with the buffer in general and not just a 1024 thing. That's why keeping up with the elastic audio and bouncing errors too so easily. Maybe? I'm curious of what driver version (002/003) everyone is using too. If anyone has their system working flawless with an 002 or 003, I'd like to know their exact configuration and pt version, 003 driver version and any other pertinent details that may help. What had to be disabled or enabled to solve the problems. Any winning plug n play 002/003 systems out there? I like many haven't touched a thing. Just crossgraded to pt10 and here I am. I'm very curious about the driver version for the hardware. Is any certain 002/003 driver causing a problem or fixing any for anyone and what is the version number being used in a working system if there is one. What driver is used in the non working systems? I'm trying to think of what we all have in common besides pt10 and an 002/003 interface to help see what we can rule out. Is anyone able to open an old pt maxed out mix session by just pressing play without a problem? I don't want to keep trashing prefs and juggling drivers and plug ins if there is no logical reason to do so. This doesn't seem like a reinstall everything type of problem/solution. Seems like a major pro tools 10 buffer problem that needs an update.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:27 AM

It's best to always use the latest driver for any hardware.

So that's exactly what I'm using. Dunno what the exact version number is for the latest 002 family driver. But I've downloaded it 2 days ago so unless they updated it yesterday or today I have the latest version
Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM

thanks for the info bortraws. i know technically the new driver is the best and apparently there is no incorrect way to install (before or after pt10 install), i'm still looking for any thing in common between those folks having issues and with those not having issues. i know some people using the old and new 002/003 driver are still having this problem. So i don't know exactly what the change in the new driver does, but i don't think that is a factor. i'm no expert though. Just a long time customer trying to get my product to work as advertised. I just opened a fairly heavy session and did a lil more tweaking while watching the system usage screen. the session would not play at all at 1024 without the -9128 error

1024 cpu was at 0% idling. error -9128 on attempted playback.
512 =15% idle. 23% on playback
256 =16% idle. 25% on playback
128 =21% idle. 28% on playback
64 =31% idle. 37% on playback
32 =31% idle. 47% on playback

idling % of cpu(native) on left and playback cpu(native)% on right

*the session played back smooth at 32 buffer setting. nothing at 1024. just the stop/play button blink and -9128

(this used to happen in the first versions of pt5. i would push the buffer up to a point where it was even having trouble playing back at 1024 and then switch it to 128 and suddenly i was mixing again with no problems at all. no rhyme or reason to why it worked, but it would fly again. plus i could keep working in 128 without the need to push the buffer back up anymore since this always happened towards the end of a mix and it was working fine again)

just figured i'd note that observation. trust me. i know how to crash pt. been doing it for over a decade. normally i read these threads for basic solutions and fixes occasionally, but never anything as messed up as this. i've never jumped right in though to a brand new version since the release of pt5 due to the fear of my previous sessions not working right in the new version. when i woke up today i was hoping to see pro tools 10.1 was released and this failed version would just be in the past. after being tested of course...

(also a new issue i noticed was the task manager not always erasing the items after creating the overview. i can click or swipe over the font and watch the type disappear. i could care less about this issue as long as i can get busy again at all buffer settings including the now infamous 1024 and fly like the wind. swoooooosh... i just figured i would mention it since it happened while writing this post, although it's off topic.)
Old 11-14-2011, 05:12 PM

bam. i think i figured it out. At least my situation. You need to close pro tools 10 and open Avid CoreAudio Manager. My setting was at 512. i don't know if it was defaulted at that or if that's always how it was cause i actually don't remember how i used to have it. i switched it to 1024 and just like it never happened... my full sessions played easily. i obviously need to go through tons more sessions, but it is working and at least that is progress. try it and see if it works for the 1024 issue. i got a buffer error about 20 seconds in at 32, but i figured that's fine with a session that choc full o' plugs. Hopefully this works for everyone having these buffer issues! update any findings as i will do the same if i encounter more hiccups or solutions.

my avid coreaudio manager read:

avid hw: digi 003
channels: 18in/18out
attached clients: 0
buffer size: 512 (which i switched to 1024 to fix the issue)
Old 11-14-2011, 05:56 PM

Good lookin' out Mistalo.... I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Ronzie

Home rigs:
Mac pro 5,1 2.66 nehalem quadcore (10.12.2 &10.13.1),24g ram,sonnet firewire 400 card, Samsung ssd 3-1T WD Caviar black (internals), 002r, PT 12.6.1 HD & 12.8.2.106).

Macbook Pro 2.5ghz quad (10.12.2),16g ram, 2 X SSD (internal),PT 12.4 HD