How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2012, 11:52 AM

Default PT 10 to PT 9

Hi Folks,

I've been cutting tracks to Pro Tools 10 in Lion and plan to finish overdubs and mix in a PT 9 studio. I know I'll loose some of the new features, most notably clip gain which I have come to appreciate. My question is this, will the gains or cuts I've made with clip gain be lost converting to PT 9 or will they transfer over as set and I'll just loose the ability to adjust the level?

Are there any other potential problems I should be aware of?

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Re: PT 10 to PT 9

I don't have any first hand experience with this (my copy of PT 10 is still on a FedEx truck) but from what I've read, you'll just lose all the clip gain settings. The clips will just turn into regions with the original dynamics. I'm in an Audio Engineering program right now and we use 9 at school. I plan on not using the clip gain feature until I graduate this spring. I have also found out that you have to do a SAVE COPY IN of your 10 session and chose the compatibility for 9. PT 9 will not open a PT 10 session. SAVE COPY IN will create a new Session Folder and will duplicate all the audio files, fade files, plugin settings folder, session file, etc. It doubles everything. This can bloat your media/data drive if you have to do it a lot. The good thing about SAVE COPY IN is pulls audio your session is linked to that might not reside in the session's Audio Files folder and puts it in the new Audio Files folder. It's generally a good idea to do a SAVE COPY IN anytime you are going to another studio to avoid missing files.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:49 AM

You can Render the Clip Gain before saving out to PT9 creating new regions/clips.

Just make sure you have the Clip Gain display off when doing the Save Copy In or it may fail.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barakka View Post
You can Render the Clip Gain before saving out to PT9 creating new regions/clips.

Just make sure you have the Clip Gain display off when doing the Save Copy In or it may fail.
That's good to know.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Rendering sound like what I want to do.

So, on the theory that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, let me throw out a couple more.

If I understand this correctly, I select a series of clips, or in this case, the entire track. I did find a section in the PT help that outlines the basic steps in rendering so I would follow them. The rendering process will then create a single new clip from this whole series of clips with whatever gains or cuts I had created in clip gain preserved. Is it safe to assume that all the clips borders will disappear then? And that being the case, should I also get any cross fades needed done before rendering?

Regarding "Just make sure you have the Clip Gain display off when doing the Save Copy In or it may fail.", would I do this by unchecking the "Gain info" line in the View section?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Rendering sound like what I want to do.

So, on the theory that the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, let me throw out a couple more.

If I understand this correctly, I select a series of clips, or in this case, the entire track. I did find a section in the PT help that outlines the basic steps in rendering so I would follow them. The rendering process will then create a single new clip from this whole series of clips with whatever gains or cuts I had created in clip gain preserved. Is it safe to assume that all the clips borders will disappear then? And that being the case, should I also get any cross fades needed done before rendering?
Yes and no, you select the Clips to Render then Go to

Clip -> Clip Gain -> Render Clip Gain

This will render the Clip Gain information into the Clips, creating new Clips, all fades and cross fades will remain intact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginridge View Post
Regarding "Just make sure you have the Clip Gain display off when doing the Save Copy In or it may fail.", would I do this by unchecking the "Gain info" line in the View section?
Yep, uncheck the "Gain Info" and "Gain Line" in the View Menu (Crtl/Shift/+ and Ctrl/Shift/- Mac Shortcuts) before the Save Copy In

:)