Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2002, 03:11 PM

Default Importing Tempo Maps

Is there any way to tell PT where to spot bar 1 of an importing Midi SMF tempo map to a specific Timecode Number. I've got some Protools sessions of music that was recorded with several minutes of space before bar one. Now I want to use the Tempo map of the originating Midi sequence to locate to certain bars which correspond to the Conductor score, However Protools insists on placing Bar 1 beat 1 at the top of the session. Well Protools takes time to lock and record slates etc,etc, so the top of the session is not where 1| 1 is now I can swipe and Grab the tempo and bar number rulers and move them into place manually but that's not that accurate or fast without zooming in. Can't move audio past bar 1 as the sessions are many playlists deep ! Any thoughts out there oh wise advisors ? Can we say "Feature Request" Spot incoming midi tempo map to #
Old 07-31-2002, 09:10 PM

Default Re: Importing Tempo Maps

Mmm. THat's a good one. I'm usually importing tempo map from a SMF and I have never needed to change them, as I'm starting the PT session usually from that imported tempo map, but I'm guessing why don't you change momentarily the starting point of your PT session to the point where you want the imported tempo map to start from, then import the SMF tempo map, and then go back to your original status. Well that's assuming you have nothing before that, but it's one thought.
Any way, I'll keep on checking this topic because I'm interested too on a better solution. Good luck,
Alex
Old 08-01-2002, 03:39 PM

Thanks, but actually I tried to try that, but as the preroll & slate stuff and any audio before bar 1 exists several playlists deep it's not a viable option.... Simply put - I can't see reason why you can't import a midi tempo map and tell protools at what timecode you want Bar1 Beat 1 to be at. It saves you time from sliding the start bar and all following tempo changes around manually ... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2002, 06:53 AM

On the audio side, if I have a session start at a certain point, and I have audio right at the top of the session, I add space at the head of the session by changing my timecode start; I then get a dialogue box asking me whether I want my regions to maintain their timecode identity, or maintain a relative relationship to the new timecode start. I click on Maintain Timecode (or whatever it is) and nothing moves from where it lives.

Does it not work that way for midi as well?

Craig
Old 08-03-2002, 08:57 AM

Well There already is audio in the sessions, but even if I did move the audio back 10 playlists deep changed the session start time to bar one beat one of timecode and then imported the midi tempo map then moved the session start time back I would have to re-spot 56 tracks of orchestra, choir & Overdubs that don't all start at the same place. And the Midi map would also be in a different relative spot so changing the start time back which ever dialog box you check the out of time midi would move uniformly with the audio-and still not be in the right place. Try it, try importing a midi song with tempo changes into a protools session with audio in it already, you'll have audio before bar 1, so you have to manually move the entire midi song to where your bar one is, be it 10 seconds or ten minutes from the session start. Well there is no way to do it that I can see, other than manually sliding it by eye. You can't tell Protools to place bar 1 at a specific TC number. This is the problem. Has anyone else run into this ? Am I missing something ? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]