Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:32 AM

Default low latency monitoring to any output?

Hello everyone,

i am currently planning on installing 4 preamps for headphones in my studio and i want to use the line outs 7-8 from my digi to output to it so i can use pro tools aux to create a mix for the musicians and output to the headphone preamp. My question is, will they still have low latency monitoring if it is enabled ? or is the low latency monitoring only for the digi's headphone out or main outs?

i couldn't find anything on the forums nor in the pro tools pdfs.

thank you very much
Old 08-18-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Re: low latency monitoring to any output?

bounce

is this a stupid question or does no one know? english is not my mothertongue so maybe i'm not very clear? i just want to know if low latency monitoring will be in effect when routing to other outputs (ie not the digi's headphone out nor the mains) through some busses.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM

Low latency monitoring turns off aux sends and plugins on record-enabled tracks so this will not work. Your best solution is to use a computer that is powerful enough that you can run a buffer setting of 128 or 64. My system runs 32 audio tracks (each with Dverb, BF76 and 4 band EQ) at 64 buffer. I send the master stereo mix to the main inputs of a Behringer HA4700. Then I use aux sends to add "more me" to each of the 4 sections of the headphone amp.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-19-2007, 07:52 AM

Just out of curiosity, why don't you just run the headphone amp off one of the headphone outs? If you're tracking people who need verb in their monitor mixes, get a cheap-o outboard unit, or even a small mixer if you have to do individual mixes.

Better yet: say no. Tell them to stop worrying about what they hear in their cans and concetrate on playing the parts right, which would be a miracle in most cases anyway. Your problem isn't the aux's or latency, it's that you're too nice. People tracking in your place need to fear you. Wear a gun in a holster, slur your words, randomly scribble cyptic and violent political philosophy on a notepad -- they won't have a word to say about the monitor mixes. Otherwise musicians start thinking they're artists, and making demands you'll never be able to satisfy anyway. "I need verb in my mix," "I need a chair," "It's too hot," "It's too cold," "My hair is on fire," Wah-wah-wah. You need to treat them like the circus freaks they are.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why don't you just run the headphone amp off one of the headphone outs? If you're tracking people who need verb in their monitor mixes, get a cheap-o outboard unit, or even a small mixer if you have to do individual mixes.

Better yet: say no. Tell them to stop worrying about what they hear in their cans and concetrate on playing the parts right, which would be a miracle in most cases anyway. Your problem isn't the aux's or latency, it's that you're too nice. People tracking in your place need to fear you. Wear a gun in a holster, slur your words, randomly scribble cyptic and violent political philosophy on a notepad -- they won't have a word to say about the monitor mixes. Otherwise musicians start thinking they're artists, and making demands you'll never be able to satisfy anyway. "I need verb in my mix," "I need a chair," "It's too hot," "It's too cold," "My hair is on fire," Wah-wah-wah. You need to treat them like the circus freaks they are.

LOL!

Yep, and you should start making more demands of your own, like "Once more, but this time copy someone else's style, because yours is lame." or "The drums sound great, man. And thanks for illuminating the wavering pulse of the click track. I hadn't noticed that before." or "Nice take! It usually takes decades to develop that sterile and soul-less feel, but you're just a natural."
Old 08-19-2007, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Yep, and you should start making more demands of your own, like "Once more, but this time copy someone else's style, because yours is lame." or "The drums sound great, man. And thanks for illuminating the wavering pulse of the click track. I hadn't noticed that before." or "Nice take! It usually takes decades to develop that sterile and soul-less feel, but you're just a natural."
Ha!

My favorite is, "I like what you were going for."

If they ask for verb in the monitor mix I show them the edit screen in bars and beats mode to show where they are in relation.

"See this line? That's the beat. See this squiggly blurge? That's you."

That usually ends any requests for verb.

Or: "I'd like to give you delay in the mix, I really would -- but I'm using it to run your track through a 20 ms delay so it'll be in time with everything else."
Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 PM

Quote:

My favorite is, "I like what you were going for."

Great!

How about "No, no, when I say it's repetitive, I mean that there's more opportunity for us to be creative."
Old 08-20-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
bounce

is this a stupid question or does no one know? english is not my mothertongue so maybe i'm not very clear? i just want to know if low latency monitoring will be in effect when routing to other outputs (ie not the digi's headphone out nor the mains) through some busses.
The low latency monitoring feature is only for the main outputs (1-2).