Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2008, 06:57 PM

Default So how is Pt 8 On Newer Mac Pro 8 core?

Hi everybody .. I'm currently running PT 8 on an Imac 2.4 Ghz Intel with 4 gig of ram ... I use alot of virtual synths as well as Reason rewired in ~ and i notice that when i have reason running along with PT , and w/ various plugs on , my system likes to interrupt frequently. ( cpu useage ).

I sort of hate to print my drums out of reason early in a production and was wondering if an 8 core Mac Pro with 4 gig of ram will be what i'm looking for .

( does PT 8 Utilize 8 cores effectively ? )

& for you Mac Pro Users : ( hows the plug in count ? )

Thanx in advance :)

Christian
Old 12-31-2008, 07:28 PM

Thumbs up Re: So how is Pt 8 On Newer Mac Pro 8 core?

Pro Tools load balances across all cores effectively.

The only issue I've heard of that only some people have is certain non Digi RTAS plug-ins and the way they handle their processing.

In particular Native Instruments and IK Multimedia are prone to causing certain buffer error messages in which case bringing the setting for 'RTAS Processors' down from 8 to 5 seems to be a magic bullet that makes Pro Tools run more stable. I'm search if you search for user 'Digitechsupt' you'll find many post from Digi stating to try this trick and that Pro Tools in fact still uses ALL 8 cores for Pro Tools, but that setting just changes 5 cpu cores to RTAS only plug-ins and then the remaining 3 to work with plug-ins that buffer their data into RAM while working instead of just real time streaming the way that Digi RTAS only plug-ins work.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense.

Basically Mac Pro 8 Cores are strong amazing and I own one and LOVE IT. Best machine on the face of the earth period. Best Pro Tools rig money can buy and very stable. It's just the cpu thing is the only 'issue' that I've had to work with. But just to be devils advocate for a second, the Mac Pro and Xeon processors are amazing BUT the Intel iMac isn't tooo far behind in processing power, and because Pro Tools RTAS implementation is pretty sucky. I'd have to say that you're RTAS V.I's might double but probably not much more than that. I wouldn't think it's going to solve all your RTAS cpu error problems. I have a Mac Book with nearly the processing power of your iMac and comparing it to the Mac Pro, Mac Pro is much better but it's not 'night and day' per se.

TWO THUMBS UP!