Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 01:53 PM

Default SRC in realtime vs. within software

When converting from 47.952 or .1% lower then 48kHz to 48kHz what are the differences between doing the conversion in realtime with the hardware versus within the software. Any theories or facts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: SRC in realtime vs. within software

Hi there ...

In terms of theory, a good resource for acquiring an understanding of these sorts of theoretical things is:

Principles of Digital Audio
By: Pohlmann, Ken C
ISBN: 0071441565

It's published by McGraw-Hill.

IMHO, an essential read. Although it may not directly answer your specific enquiry (I don't have my copy here right now).

As for the real world? Why do hi end hardware SRCs like the Weiss unit sound so good? Sadly, I'm not qualified to say why the sums they do seem to end up sounding subjectively better.

Kind regards,
Paul Blakey
12th & Vine Post
Old 10-16-2005, 09:32 PM

paul's suggestions are very good ones.

but i am curious what you are trying to do? some audio post? do you need a WEISS to go .1%? (sure, for 96-44.1)

i have done the PT SRC pull up trick by importing session data tracks and applying SRC. and i have to say that going from 47952 to 48000 i have not noticed any degradation in the audio. nor do i notice it when i use a clock to pull down.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 10-16-2005, 09:53 PM

I wish there was a way to bounce and apply the src BEFORE the dithering (when the dither plug in is inserted on the master fader)
Any way to do that?
Old 10-17-2005, 01:16 PM

This is for post production application. I actually forgot to mention that what we are specifically curious about is a realtime conversion with the digital inputs on the HD 192 versus within the Pro Tools software.

Thanks for the book recomendation I will look into that.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:15 PM

Quote:
This is for post production application. I actually forgot to mention that what we are specifically curious about is a realtime conversion with the digital inputs on the HD 192 versus within the Pro Tools software.
well, it would be easy to satisfy your curiosity yourself. take a short passage and try it both ways. and A/B the result.

i would hasten to wager that you will not hear a difference at this .1% level (and i don't know what your room or ears are like). the only thing at that might make a difference, maybe would be a WEISS or a Dan Lavry SRC box.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash