Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2001, 12:41 AM

Default lack of plugin development for PC-RTAS :(

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that very few companies are actively developing PC versions of their Mac RTAS plugins ?

Waves so far has been the only company actively working on their plugins, the new Restoration bundle is magic, and the latest bunch of optimisations for the C4 and Rverb are sensational.

However I have noticed there is very little new stuff being announced as in development. I was patiently waiting for RealVerb only to find KoL dropping development of it. I have also spoken to McDSP and Metric Halo and both companies don't plan support for the PC at all, and as for Antares the only version of AutoTune that works under PC-RTAS is buggy and have so far released AutoTune 3.0 for every platform BUT PC-RTAS.

SynchroArts have had a standalone PC version of VocAlign available for years, surely it can't be that hard to port it to Audiosuite.

GRM Tools is the only reason I still use Logic Audio at all, and from there you lose almost all the usability of the automation (where GRM tools is most powerful)

If any developers are on this list, it would be nice to hear from time to time if there are plans to bring new plugins to the PC platform sometime soon. I for one am feeling a little lonely over here.

Please don't make me buy a Mac [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Marcus
Old 10-15-2001, 10:34 AM

Default Re: lack of plugin development for PC-RTAS :(

I've noticed that with the exception of Waves that no one seems to have any interest in RTAS for PC? Are we that small?
Old 10-15-2001, 05:54 PM

Can anyone think of a reason that Digi refuses to incorperate DirectX into their program? It can't be for the money they make selling their versions of RTAS plugins...they just aren't worth it. It would seem logical to me that if they included broder plugin support, it would make PTLE a more popular program, there for widing their customer base for upgrades etc.
Old 10-15-2001, 09:35 PM

I believe it has to do with automation. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> Can anyone think of a reason that Digi refuses to incorperate DirectX into their program? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 10-16-2001, 12:49 AM

check out bomb factory, good stuff.
Old 10-16-2001, 12:59 AM

Don't forget the Bomb Factory stuff. Very expensive, but what I have heard is very nice.

That being said, I echo all of the statements above.
KoL killed Realverb - I assume this had something to do with Digidesign getting mad about comparisons of the powered plug-ins card to the power on a Mix card.

I also talked to Metric Halo and McDSP. Same story, no plans for PC-RTAS.

I will point out that Antares has not completed any Version 3 stuff for the PC. Direct X is not yet available, but is planned. We can only hope that they make the PC-RTAS version also.
Old 10-16-2001, 01:31 AM

I agree.
What's going on?
Surely it's not that hard?
I bet it'd only take you a few minutes to write a few programs.
while yr at it,make VST plugins work aswell... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2001, 05:50 PM

Well my question is, seeing as there are so many PC users who program free VST plugins, why can't one or two enterprising PT users write an RTAS VST wrapper like they have for Digi Perf on the mac or DX vst shell for Sonar... I mean couldn't someone attempt a version of Direct Connect or similar? I'd nearly pull out my old C++ books at this stage (If time permitted). There's sh*tloads of free VST and DX plugins.... why not RTAS? (or is digi too cheap to give developer info?)

Sean
Old 10-17-2001, 01:13 PM

Waiting for Digidesign is useless! Luckily some good third party companies are stepping up to the plate, native instruments told me that they will be releasing a version of battery, B4, Spectral delay and others in the next couple of weeks. This came just in time for me, I was about to make the big switch to cubase...Just so I could use soft synths(battery in particular). I don't think that there's anything you can do to make Digidesign move faster. I suggest you take a more proactive aproach and contact companies like Tc electronics, Metric Halo, Etc. I bet if they have enough people banging down thier doors they'll motivate...There's alot of money to be made in RTAS/Pc and companies go on green, We just have to make sure they know we've got the green!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2001, 03:49 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by APAULOS:
...I suggest you take a more proactive aproach and contact companies like Tc electronics, Metric Halo, Etc. I bet if they have enough people banging down thier doors they'll motivate...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree whole heartedly...I think its worth a try. I've emailed the ones you mentioned above and I also talked to representatives of several other companies at NAMM & AES.

I got a curious response from Kind of Loud saying they stopped development on their PC RTAS version of RealVerb due to lack of interest. I don't believe that. I think it has more to do with the fact that their parent company just released a DSP Plug-in card that competes with Digi's DSP cards. They got into a War Of Words about whose DSP card is more powerful. There's note about it at the Univeral Audio web site.

The guy from McDSP told me he'd do it as soon as he could afford a Windows programmer. Yikes!!!

TC Electronics just said "NO"! I don't get it.

BTW, in order for those Native Instrument devices to work within PTLE/Digi001 we'll need a PC implementation of DirectConnect (the Pro Tools softsynth plug-in protocol). Digi said DirectConnect for PC is in the works but could not speculate when it would be released.

The only other alternative for softsynths at this time is to run them on another soundcard and route the output into the 001.

I do that with the B4, Korg OASYS PCI and Creamwares PowerSampler & Softsynths.