Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2005, 11:06 AM

Default With ALL due respect..........

Digi, where is 7?
I've been holding this in since December. Am I complaining? Well, if you think so...SO WHAT! I've been a diehard PTLE guy since the 001 came out.
We're always the last one to the dance, with the outdated clothes(features)on. Man I seen my buds' D.P. 4.5 and it just amazes me at what we -LE- guys don't have that damn near every other DAW out there does have.
I purchased Pro Tools from the beginning because back then (in OS9) it was hands down...THEE BEST most reliable. Well, times are a changin'.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Will 7 show an improvement in the RTAS plug-in department?
Will 7 allow us Mac users to actually USE both processors?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've got more questions I'd like to ask, but if you (DIGI) can juat answer these two I'm sure many devoted hardcore PTLE users like me will know what to expect when 7 is released.
Just these TWO questions! I'm not asking...hey we gonna have surround? Or surround LE? We gonna get more tracks like every other DAW has? Or 48 audio tracks....LE. WE gonna have SMPTE like every one else? Or SMPTE LE? Is beat detective actually going to be a beat detective? Not beat detective LE.
Plug-in delay compensation? More busses? Or busses LE. Better midi? Or midi LE.

Digi just THROW US A BONE!
I really do like my 002, but for the past 6 months I've used(on a friends) Logic 7, worked with my bud in D.P. and seen Nuendo in action and sure there's a few things P.T.L.E. does better. But man there is SO MANY things those DAW's do that just outweight LE's highlights by miles.
I had a dream lastnight that Digidesign had ONE Pro Tools software version. And many hard ware options. HD-TDM with Dsp cards/ LE totally Native.....
Oh don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....don't wake me up.......don't wake me up........don't wake me up....
Old 02-15-2005, 12:02 PM

Default Re: With ALL due respect..........

Amen brother! I have seriously considered moving over to Logic or Nuendo SOLELY so I can take advantage of my shiny dual processor machine.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:42 PM

Whenever someone brings up these issues, some one always replies that, "But that would take away from TDM sales." Well, this time, I'm that guy. Think about it. We are always comparing Digidesign's "light" version of Pro Tools to other companies flagship DAW's. What does that say about the other guys products? That some of their main competition is the kid brother of Pro Tools? People complain that there needs to be an intermediate step between LE and TDM. I think one could make the case that the intermediate step is Logic, or DP, or Nuendo. They certainly have lots of cool features that aren't present in LE. Is it an astronomically big jump from LE to TDM? You bet. Is it worth it? I'm starting to think seriously about it. I'm already laying out my purchase plans for the next year with that in mind.

That all being said, I'd love to see some real dual processor support, more than anything else.

-Chris
Pro Tools LE 7.4
Event 20/20bas
bottle of Johnnie Walker Black behind right monitor
Old 02-15-2005, 01:06 PM

And whenever this discussion comes up, somebody else (usually me) says: the use of dedicated, proprietary DSP cards is doomed.

DSP addons like PowerCore, and distributed processing, like Logic, are the future.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:05 PM

Dual/distributed processing) will never happen. Not until TDM users stop buying, err TDM, will we see our LE (Little Engine) become popular with bells and whistles and that will NOT happen. If you like your friends DP or Logic or whatever, then its time to move over. Seriously. I'm not disagreeing with you about all them goodies but Digi has a priority and it isn't LE.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:20 PM

You missed my point. Technically, dedicated hardware like TDM uses is doomed. The TDM architecture came into existence when personal computers weren't up to the task - this is no longer the case.

Never is a long time.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:22 PM

Quote:
If you like your friends DP or Logic or whatever, then its time to move over. Seriously. I'm not disagreeing with you about all them goodies but Digi has a priority and it isn't LE.
DP 4.5 is worth the move. Seriously. I will keep my 002rack for sure- but whenever I move to my new dual g5 (sometimes in the next year when new ones come out) I will be adding a lynx 2 card and switching platforms. The performance leap on even my powerbook from PT to DP 4.5 is disgusting. In my opinion, DIGI gets an F when it comes to smart marketing and long term planning. I hate to tell the guys in the HD forums, but like tele says dedicated cards are not going to be in the picture forever. Native systems are getting so powerful and with software compensation the gap can certainly be closed. If DIGI came out with a good box (ADAT ins only?) and caught up with the others in performance / feature set, people would FLOCK to DIGI and spend lots more $$$ than is currently coming in from HD sales.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:15 PM

Quote:
You missed my point. Technically, dedicated hardware like TDM uses is doomed. The TDM architecture came into existence when personal computers weren't up to the task - this is no longer the case.
Actually Tele, I understood your point and it's one well taken. My point is (when I get the chance too), I use TDM because it works, pretty solidly. Being a long time user of DP, even with a G5 dual 2.5, it'll never give me the horse power I get with a HD3 or even a HD2. Some may not agree.

Also, I don't see Digi setting any other standard but sticking with the current one and this won't change for some time. I hope I'm wrong. My 2 cents...
Old 02-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Never is a long time.
I'd agree with you on one hand Tele - my first Pro tools TDM rig ran on a Quadra 840AV, running at 40Mhz ( yes, thats right, forty). That gave me 16 tracks at CD qual, and two types of TDM plugs. My friends couldn't believe it when they saw it running.
I still think there are legs left in TDM land though, at least for a little while. Some of the new algorithms are massive, (and sound superb) and some studios CPU requirements are massive.
We'll see what happens though, in a few series of G5's - because they already run faster than my car.

Gorilla... all I can say is... "Ditto to more tracks"
If I have to do much more sub mixing and bouncing, I'm going to rip my brain out and replace it with a clockwork mouse.

G5 Dual 1.8 /1.5 Gb Ram
OSX 10.4.7
PT LE 7.3 cs1
DIGI 002
Waves Ren
Sony Bundle
Soundtoys-arama
NI Komplete 3
Old 02-15-2005, 10:58 PM

Quote:
And whenever this discussion comes up, somebody else (usually me) says: the use of dedicated, proprietary DSP cards is doomed.

DSP addons like PowerCore, and distributed processing, like Logic, are the future.
whatever keeps the LATENCY down to almost zero is fine with me. i mean, when i do a live session, the system MUST be able to feed the artist's monitor headphone with audio in less than 10ms and the quicker the better. i have heard powercore/uad is nowhere close to that...