Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2000, 07:58 AM

Default Re: 5.1!!!!!!

Yep. I'd pay $99 in a minute if it had the following:

1. SMPTE ruler
2. no built-in track limitations
3. Altivec support

I won't pay $99 for them to fix a problem with a machine (G3) that isn't even manufactured any more.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 08-17-2000, 08:32 AM

Dans, what mother board do you have? from other posts, it seems, that the G3s freezing
up on start up has something to do with the motherboard.
My point is, When I bought the B/W G3 in Jan., I made sure it was compatible 100% with the Digi001.
From 5.0 to 5.0.1,
how can you tell customers that you have to
upgrade your software, buy a third party utility program, or sell and buy another Mac
with the different motherboard. If this problem is not fixed soon, watch for my Digi001 on ebay.
Old 08-17-2000, 10:28 AM

Splash, yes, I have that startup problem. It is annoying, but at the same time, all I do is shut down and start back up and it works fine. Hasn't caused any problems. I guess since I only use that Mac for the 001, and leave it on all the time, it hasn't been an issue for me.

Parlour said: "The upgrade will cost approximately $99.00 for those who have purchased Pro Tools within the last 3-4 months" Does this mean those of us who bought before then have to pay even more? That doesn't seem right.

If a new version has new features then $99 isn't too much to ask. If it is simply bug fixes, then that's BS. Let's wait and see what they are offering before freaking out.

I'm still so amazed at the qulaity and potential of the 001 that I would like to give Digi the benefit of the doubt in this case. $900 for all this is astounding...if you remember when crappy 4 tracks were $600 or more.

G4 1.25DP/FW800/1.25GB/OS X 10.3.5/Digi 001/LE 6.4
Old 08-17-2000, 11:09 AM

I would humbly suggest not to jump the gun here.

Even if the guy at the demo was from Digi,
this info can change up to the last min.

The pricing info seems seems a little off to me. It would seem more in line to me if the upgrade was free to people who purchased in the last 3 months..and..paid upgrade for prior purchases(not the other way around) which further leads me to believe that this info is a little off (no offense to "Parlour")

Since the original post here was sketchy on specific details..and..they weren't even sure if the rep was from Digi or not...I wouldn't speculate too much nor..read too much into it.

Its still a little early for info.

Stay loose. Wait and see. It won't be too long before specific detailed info starts coming in Im sure.

Hang in there.

dcornutt
Old 08-17-2000, 06:38 PM

Hi there... sorry for the question but what exactly is Altivec?? I've never heard that term before so I thought I'd ask... thanks guys...

R. Tinoco
Old 08-17-2000, 08:18 PM

No offense taken dcornutt! The only reason I said that he might be a digi rep was because I didn't want digi to post and say he wasn't!But in fact I know that he was because digi created and sponsored this event.He was a nice person and did a great job(it wasn't boring!)but I could tell that the subject about the price upgrade was one that he did not care to be too specific about.Probably because digi hasn't formally announced it yet! But yes there is in fact a 5.1 because they were using it at this pluginfest thing!Of course the system they used at this promo was in fact a tdm but he did tell me that there was one for the 001!
Old 08-17-2000, 08:28 PM

Oh,I forgot to add something else about the 5.1-this rep also mention the fact that when digi went to 5.0 from the previous version,there were about 100 pages of code changes made.To further exemplify(?) this upgrade ,he said that there were about 200 pages of code changes made from the 5.01 to 5.1. Take it with a grain of salt people! I agree with dcornutt in that we should all wait and see what digi will do with this upgrade before we start screamin!
Old 08-18-2000, 05:57 AM

Hi, Cacique
To know about Altivec check http://www.apple.com/powermac/processor.html
Abraço
NM