Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 PM

Default New PSP mastering limiter

Hi,

PSP have just announced their new Xenon mastering limiter! i'm testing the 14 day demo now (RTAS Ilok) and is is flipping awesome.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/xenon.html

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: New PSP mastering limiter

Quote:
Hi,

PSP have just announced their new Xenon mastering limiter! i'm testing the 14 day demo now (RTAS Ilok) and is is flipping awesome.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/plugins/xenon.html

Chris
Yes it looks great. luckily i have an ilok now so i can give the demo a try

I see your post on the PSP forum. how did you like it against the Waves?

Kazz
Old 12-14-2007, 12:13 AM

People, please keep asking PSP for TDM versions. If everybody asks for it once or twice a year, they'll get plenty of feedback and perhaps we'll see TDM plugs some day. Please! Currently, PSP plugs are close to "worthless" for me, because I need to stay TDM-only whenever I do live (and I do it a lot).

The limiter plug looks nice. I love the K-system, kudos to Bob Katz for it!
Old 12-14-2007, 12:48 PM

Maybe I'm not getting the hang of the thing but it seems a bit mushy compared to the Massey L2007. Maybe it's me, but I can't seem to get it to not eat up the attack on the drums.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm not getting the hang of the thing but it seems a bit mushy compared to the Massey L2007. Maybe it's me, but I can't seem to get it to not eat up the attack on the drums.
Hi,

I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how to set up a limiter! but approx settings to try...

transient set A-react and the level set to max-100
release set to about 15ms
leveller off
link at 0-off

Like all limiters its easy to smash the transients if you're not carefull! the Waves L3 has been my favourite for volume and retaining punch even more than the L3-16. xenon was comparable to L3 when i did some A/B testing. Of course its not going to be right for every track, but to me i was easily and quickly getting top results, plus the latency was about 1/4 of the L3 and about 1/8 of L3-16!!! and its not too cpu hungry? not that this matters when mastering, but for mixing sessions a real bonus.

Yes, JFreak, i wish more venders would do TDM! PSP vintage warmer in TDM would be great. i still find BX-Digital TDM astonishing at just 11% of a chip at 48k. its great when we do get some great TDM plugs, but a lot of new stuff seems to RTAS only

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Chris, thanks for the suggestion. I think I was misreading the nob labels. I thought the release was the top nob, not the one underneath the word. Anyway, sounds pretty good now after some more tweaking.