Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Getting Audio from Premiere

Greetings fellow DigiUsers,
I have a good one for you ... I will be working on a project that was cut using Adobe Premiere (NT) ... any tricks to get an OMF like export or is the only way is by doing a "track-by-track bounce" of the project (and loosing the handles).
Any info or hints would be GREATLY appreciated.
cheers
rg;^D
Old 09-17-2004, 10:05 AM

Default Re: Getting Audio from Premiere

The latest versions of Premiere support AAF transfers to PTs.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:32 PM

AAF out of Premiere is a no go. At least, it was on the set i had. I was on the IBC lately (a trade show) and the guy from Premiere pro 1.5 sorta admitted that it is not fully functioning. There are no preferences for aaf etc. I think; forget aaf from Premiere.

But there is a workaround. But its not an easy one! Hold your horses.

You need Postconform for it, and a basic text editor like bbedit, but even excel helped us.

Let the editor finish his project.

The timeline should (now) start at 00:00:00:00

Then, (s)he should shuffle the audiotracks so that they will be apart from each other, say, 20 seconds. This is for the handles to be made later on, but not yet! I presume you want handles of about 10 sec's.

Then, for every track, export the EDL in cmx3600 format. Call it Track_01.edl Track_02.edl ect.
There could be 2 stereo tracks be done in one edl, but, for clarity, use 1 edl for each stereo track.

Then, for every clip, make handles on both sides of 10 seconds. Yes, this is to be done manually, by pulling the files out on both sides.

Then, export every track as .wav file. Make sure the names correspondents with the edl names. That's easier later!

Now its up to the PT editor.

Load the first edl in a text editor. Copy both the destination timecodes columns to the source time code columns. So that destination start will be the same as source start, and the same for end timecodes. Do the same with the other EDL's.

Convert the stereo wav's to split SDII files. Take care about the naming of the files.

Open Postconform.
Set the prefs for load spacing 60 minutes, and the handles could be zero! yes! You have handles afterwards, don't worry!

Open the first edl. The list of sources will be close to 1 because of the load spacing time that is so high. Choose "link sources to files". Choose the correct SDII.L file as source, and then the .R file. Save as protools session.

Do this with all edl's and tracks.

Import the PT session of each track into one new PT session.

Now have lunch.

It worked for me. Its not an easy way to Rome, but you'll get there. I did it like this 2 weeks ago.

Good luck!

Fokke van Saane, Amsterdam.
And thanx to Michel Schopping who talked me into this.
Old 09-17-2004, 06:20 PM

Ahhhhhhh...modern technology.

It's getting better all the time.

All the best,
k
Old 09-22-2004, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Greetings fellow DigiUsers,
Any info or hints would be GREATLY appreciated.
cheers
rg;^D
You're welcome.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:23 AM

I had contact with a Adobe reseller here in the Netherlands. We still can't make AAF work in ProTools from Premiere.

Who should we talk to? Digidesign or Adobe?

AAF exports and re-imports fine in Premiere. Not a suprise though. But does AAF import work fine from AVID? Who is not conforming to the Red Book of AAF?

Fokke van Saane, who has to go through the long Postconform route again.