Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2012, 09:09 AM

Default CPU Overload -6108 & -9128

I have been a Pro Tools user since 1994 and have been able to find a work around for just about any of their drawbacks, but I have hit a brick wall on this one...
I have the following...
Mac Pro 8 Core
12 G Ram
UAD 2 Quad Core
PT 10.0

I can not run a .ptx file on this computer without getting these codes. The CPU Usage meter is sitting at approximately 10%, but flashes red after approximately 5-10 seconds of playback. I thought when I updated to PT 10 last month I just needed to tweak on the Playback Engine, Kontakt Options, etc...but nothing seems to change.
I created a blank new session. Loaded 1x Kontakt instrument and assigned it to the Master Output and still get the the same error codes without any audio tracks and/or additional plugins. I loaded Steven Slate Drums in place of the Kontakt instrument and get the same thing.
I then opened a previous session created in PT 9 and ran the entire 4 minutes without a problem. The song has approximately 45 RTAS Plugins, 60 UAD Plugins, 3x VI's and 12 audio tracks.
I then duplicated the same session, opened it and Saved As...to the current .ptx file format. This file won't even run when you hit the space bar.
I am crippled by this. I can't create a single session on PT 10.
I am going to do a fresh install of the os and pt tomorrow unless someone can help...
I hope Avid is monitoring these threads and someone chimes in...
thanks
UAD 2 Quad Card
UAD Duo Apollo w/Thunderbolt
Old 01-13-2012, 01:08 PM

Default Re: CPU Overload -6108 & -9128

I had exactly this problem in Pro Tools 9HD, it's probably not related to your problem but it turned out to be an intermittantly faulty RAM module, I got it diagnosed and removed it and all has been fine since.

A long shot, but maybe something worth checking - it might be more pronounced in PT10 due to the RAM cache feature (if you have this feature).

Tom.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:15 PM

I ran Techtool Pro and checked the computer hardware and it passed. What I don't understand is why the previous (PT 9) files will open and work, but the PT 10 files won't and...if I save the PT 9 files as the latest file .ptx they won't work either...
I hope Avid is aware of this and someone will chime in unless they are waiting for me to pay $500 for support (it will never happen)
UAD 2 Quad Card
Old 01-14-2012, 08:36 AM

Smile Re: CPU Overload -6108 & -9128

This may be the solution to the cpu overload in pt 10, if you are on a mac cpu go to the app store and download this app called iboostup it is free, after that then you will go the system pref and do a system repair disk.
Old 01-14-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REYZAREXION View Post
This may be the solution to the cpu overload in pt 10, if you are on a mac cpu go to the app store and download this app called iboostup it is free, after that then you will go the system pref and do a system repair disk.
I will definitely try this. I am mixing a BIG project and finally had this happen to me yesterday repeatedly for several hours. A real pain. Have not had it happen at all since I upgraded a couple of months ago, but for some reason in the last day it did.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Dont' run it.. It created more problems with protools etc. Especially the disk permissions repair which is NOT really listed as such.. Called "Disk Health" VERY PC in nature.
I'm dumping it. Should have waited.. Made my system slower. Sticking with Cocktail and Disk Utility.. Ran those and it fixed the issue I just had immediately. If you use it, I would avoid at least the "Disk Health" option.
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.6, DP 11.3.1, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS
Old 01-16-2012, 08:49 AM

Ok...
Here is what I did to solve my problem..I had PT 8 then upgraded to PT 9 then upgraded to PT 10. It was time for a fresh install..
Backed up the drive
Erased the drive
Installed OS 10.7
Ran Software Update
Installed PT 10
Installed all my plugins
Copied my sessions back to the drive
Defragmented the drive then optimized it with Techtool Pro
Started PT 10 and Activity Monitor
Changed my playback settings until the Activity Monitor CPU % stayed below 100% during playback

I agree with gives about the app. Freebee disk utilities are questionable. I have been using Techtool for years for hardware and software repairs.

I will say it does not take much to use up 3 gigs of RAM in PT.
It looks like it takes approximately 400mb to start up PT and then however much RAM your VI's allocate (Kontakt 5 with Abbey Roads Drums had the session at 1.56G and add another VI with similar RAM footprint and you are going to max your machine out.)

Until 64 bit comes along to free up this resource this is going to continue to be hell on us....
UAD 2 Quad Card
Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 AM

I have had the same issues. My system usage bar sometimes starts to flick from 10% to overload with only a few plugins.

Being thru technical support, who took my log file, but struggled to find an answer. They even took control of my desktop and saw for themselves the issues. They are now no longer replying to me! I am on HD10.

I don't wanna do the full reinstall if at all possible. PT10 was a fresh install for me anyway on a brand new Mac Book Pro 17" running Lion.

One thing I noticed is sessions originally created in previous versions don't have quite the same amount of problems.

My gut feeling is 10 needs an update to solve this issue.

Avid - PLEASE chime in here.
24GB RAM
UAD Satellite Quad
UAD Apollo Twin
Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Try using your Mac as the playback hardware instead of your interface just as a test you can pick line out. Set your system to use 4 cores in pro tools. I have an Mbox pro and get 6085 errors and others, when I switched to my Mac as the clock / playback devce, all the errors went away I worked for three days without any errors. Now this is not what you want in the end but it's a good experiment to see if it has something to do with your Hardware, its driver and PT 10.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:56 AM

I agree it is probably a bug in the software, but remember as they continue to add more features to this program it is going to continue to tax cpu resources...
They are able to get away with this by using the pcie cards for the latency which reduces the cpu bottle neck, etc...so if we are on computer running native without their card(s) it will not be efficient and I think their main focus is to make native system software available and convince us to step up to their hardware as well if we really want the program to run the way it is supposed to. 64 bit is going to be the game changer, but I'll bet they will still find a way to put limitations on us native guys still.
You didn't hear it from me, but I was told MOTU is going 64 bit and we should see an announcement at NAMM today.
MOTU has been after my business for years and if they go 64 bit before Avid I am going back to them...
UAD 2 Quad Card