Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2010, 04:41 PM

Default Re: Hard drive not recognized in Pro Tools 8 HD on Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java View Post
In general I don't use any of the following in drive or file names:
!@#$%^&*()|\/:; (and there's probably a few more but you get the idea)

I have seen issues over and over again with this. One file had a pound "#" sign and because of this it wouldn't save.

I think it's safer not to use any characters that are illegal in the Windows naming convention.
From the Big Book of PT-AA...

Pro Tools does not support audio file names that contain the following ASCII characters:
/ (Forward Slash) \ (Backslash) : (Colon) * (Asterisk)
? (Question mark) “ (Quotation marks) < (Less-than symbol) > (Greater-than symbol) | (vertical line or pipe) Any “high order” ASCII character (created
with a key combination)
When opening sessions that contain audio files with illegal characters, Pro Tools automatically creates a renamed copy of each file (replacing these characters with an underscore “_”). Re- named files are copied to the Renamed Audio Files folder. The original files are left intact in the Audio Files folder.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
From the Big Book of PT-AA...

Pro Tools does not support audio file names that contain the following ASCII characters:
/ (Forward Slash) \ (Backslash) : (Colon) * (Asterisk)
? (Question mark) “ (Quotation marks) < (Less-than symbol) > (Greater-than symbol) | (vertical line or pipe) Any “high order” ASCII character (created
with a key combination)
When opening sessions that contain audio files with illegal characters, Pro Tools automatically creates a renamed copy of each file (replacing these characters with an underscore “_”). Re- named files are copied to the Renamed Audio Files folder. The original files are left intact in the Audio Files folder.
I haven't looked at the PT Manuals in years however that will change once I get to installing 8.x. I was *not* aware that it did that. (Probably because I *don't* use any weird characters) But it looks as though you are referring to the actual audio files contained in a session file, correct? I was referring to the actual session file names. I see people save files on Macs all the time using dates with the "/" character. Since Mac OS X uses the "/" in the filename path, this just *never* seemed like a good idea to use in the actual filename. It was also unnecessary because the O.S. keeps track of dates automatically. Also the ":" (colon) was used in filepaths back in OS 9.

Thanks for mentioning that. I will keep it in mind as I am learning the new version 8 software. I hear it's got some changes.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Thanks for all your posts. I knew of course that all those characters were forbiddent since PT5 and more but the problem concerned the ' character like in the sentence : "it's got some changes". It is not indicated in the Big Book and in PT7 it worked perfectly. So it's a new bug as Digi recognised it...