Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Advice before going HD-2

Hi all,

It's my first post in the DUC, i'm sound engineer working in a small semi-pro studio, and i want to buy an HD rig.

Before doing that i wanted to ask you users what would you do in the times we live now ?

Knowing that Logic studio just came out at 500$ and that some rumours i heard (read) are saying that Digi will probably do some changes in the product line, maybe adjust the prices...

I know that going PT is a good move and that it is important for the commercial point of view but i dont want to
buy it just before a major update.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you

Audio
Old 09-25-2007, 05:17 AM

Default Re: Advice before going HD-2

Then wait 'til after AES Oct. 8th.

If you can't wait, what will get the job done for you the best way possible? Do you know how to use Logic or would you be starting from scratch? It's a big learning curve. Will having ProTools bring in clients you wouldn't get otherwise? Would Logic? What kind of work will you be doing? In spite of both their best marketing efforts, neither is all things to all people. They each have strengths and weaknesses and not in the same areas, i.e. they would compliment each other nicely if you could get both.

Those are the things I would think about. Both products have pros & cons. There will always be something new around the corner. If PT 7.4 is released at AES you would get a free upgrade anyway if you purchased within 30 days. As far as hardware, in spite of what some people want, I really don't believe we'll be seeing anything new in terms of cards or interfaces. Control surfaces maybe. Price break - I doubt it. If that's your main concern, use a credit card that offers price protection.

But again, the best thing to do would be to wait if you can. We are talking less than 2 weeks away. Rent or borrow in the meantime? Buy Logic now, add PT later?

Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Advice before going HD-2

Thank you for your reply Ginger,

I'm actually a logic user and i have been using Pro Tools 6 years ago, for a period of 2 year approx. I know best logic which is my favorite software for composing and some non professional audio rec. I plan to use both as you said it is a they're good complement. We plan to do recordings, pop, rock, acoustic, hip-hop vocal tracking, mixing, and stuff like that, we have a pretty small recording room, so in terms of recording it's going to stay small-medium, but with the HD rig we will be able to mix so pretty large sessions.

Quote:
Will having ProTools bring in clients you wouldn't get otherwise? Would Logic?
I think some clients are more attracted by the Pro Tools rig, and it's a "standard" in the industry, the only reason for me not to have it at home was the cost, but now in this context, i'm glad that i will work on this system.

Quote:
Price break - I doubt it. If that's your main concern, use a credit card that offers price protection.
Yes it's a concern, because i'm not the guy who will pay for the rig, but i will use it, i try to make him spend the less... i feel concerned because i know how it's hard to get the money to buy some gear so...

I have to check what is a "price protection", never heard about that before. thx

Quote:
As far as hardware, in spite of what some people want, I really don't believe we'll be seeing anything new in terms of cards or interfaces
I'll wait until AES as you say and see what's comming out of it.

Thank you