Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2010, 05:13 AM

Default Clicks and Pops in destructive record mode

I believe I saw a thread about this the other day but now I can't find it.

I am running PT 8.0.4 and OS 10.6.4.

When I am in destructive record mode and punching in to an existing file, I am getting clicks and/or pops (DC offsets) at the in and out points. I believe this to be some kind of problem with delay compensation but I just don't know. I never used to have this problem and now it is very difficult to be efficient when I'm updating mixes and/or stems.

Is anyone else having this problem? If so, do you have any suggestions for dealing with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:56 AM

Default Re: Clicks and Pops in destructive record mode

Hi Roy,
I think you're referring to this thread, poorly titled by me.
I'm not sure I've resolved it or not, although I did switch to the Long Delay Comp engine. One thing that seems to have worked is to leave all the stem tracks on Input, ie, leave the MX stem on Input even if you're just punching into the FX stem and the printmaster.
I dunno, Destructive Record always worked flawlessly for me before

best,

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 PM

Thanks for responding Joe.

It always used to work for me as well and now I, like you, have to check every punch to make sure that all is OK. I read the thread that you started and will try trashing prefs, etc. Somehow, the problems with destructive record seem deeper than that trashing prefs and databases. I will try setting delay compensation to long and see what happens (if I have enough DSP).

Thanks Again!
Old 08-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Had a similar issue on LE (10.5.8/8.0.3)
It sounded like buffer errors and it turned out to be on one session only. I did the usual increase of dae etc., but nothing worked. I was printing back stereo stems/DME

Weirdly it didn't happen on an HD system, so I thought it was my mac pro, but then other sessions of greater detail and length worked flawlessly.

Never nailed it down, but luckily it was part of that session only.

No delay comp in le though
Old 08-09-2010, 04:08 AM

Did you ever try to activate pre- and postroll when doing the destructive punch? If you use a value at least 15 frames long, it should solve your problem.

http://www.eyeball.dk
Old 08-09-2010, 05:12 AM

Yeah, actually mine is always set at 2 seconds minimum, and I tried increasing that by a couple of frames just for voodoo; didn't seem to help.
I'm definitely thinking it's related to Delay Comp too....can't figure it out though.

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 08-09-2010, 05:35 AM

I set pre and post roll at 2 seconds. I hope that Digi Tech support has some ideas because this problem is very annoying.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKD99 View Post
Hi Roy,
I'm not sure I've resolved it or not, although I did switch to the Long Delay Comp engine. One thing that seems to have worked is to leave all the stem tracks on Input, ie, leave the MX stem on Input even if you're just punching into the FX stem and the printmaster.
I never use ADC, but the above comment is absolutely necessary, when recording stems/submixes, that go into further masters down the road. I always leave all stems and masters on input during destructive punches or else you can get clicks (probably the result of the few samples offset that a substems to masters generate).
The second thing is to indeed punch with pre/post roll at all times.

I've seen mixers who use normal punch mode. Their assistant checks the stems and masters afterwards for clicks at every punch point (making a mini crossfade where necessary) and then consolidate the stem, but this is rather time intensive.

Greetings,

Thierry
Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM

This is why I never used it, seems to negate the purpose of destructive punch when I have to monitor for clicks and pops or worry about setting pre/post roll on punches. Just works better to use another record mode then consolidate at the end. You don't have that annoying voice in the back of your mind, "are there clicks or pops in my punches?" I always set the delay compensation engine to maximum. Destructive punch should just WORK without having to worry about pre/post delay compensation whatever. One of those annoying things in protools.
Old 08-09-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm finding, as I've been seeing the exact same issues you're all describing, that I've stopped using "DP" now and will perform punch in/outs then x-fade/consolidate as req'd at end of pass. Yes it's more time-consuming and you can end up with more data than is necessary (if you're not diligent about clearing unused regions) but it's proving to be the only way for me to be 100% confident in what I'm delivering.

Frustrating as it used to work very well prior to updating to 8.0.x

Leaving print stem in Input is a little defeating for me as at which point are you confidence monitoring the drop-in? Sure it corrects the tendency for sample size differences between destination and source but I'm still wanting to hear to whats "on tape", not a combination if you catch my meaning.

As an aside, have any of you found after performing a Destructive Punch drop-in/out which has clicked/popped at the in/out points, when playing back across those points to check them... the clicks/pops aren't there?

Cheers

TM

2 x 2.26 Quad-Core, 10.6.3, 6gb RAM, PT 8.0.4, HD-Accel4, Magma PE6R4, Decklink HD Extreme 3 + Satellite Link to 2 x 2.66 Dual-Core, 10.6.3, 5gb RAM, PT8.0.4, HD Accel2 + D-Control