Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Set Up / Configuring help

Can someone tell me how to set this system up. What is the best way to configure this set up. They say for BFD to run it on a seperate drive so I get all different takes. I have a PT/HD2, G5 Mac Dual 2.0 1gig ram, BFD drums, reason 3.0 160gig firewire, 80 gig firewire, DBX comp, thats it in a nutshell. Should I put reason and bfd on the 80 gig and all the audio files/pro tools sessions on the 160 gig? In other words is it better to keep em seperate or put reason on my system drive with the pro tools software. Thank you all
Old 06-23-2005, 06:22 AM

Default Re: Set Up / Configuring help

Well the first thing.. Keep all audio. midi, and other SESSION data on disks OTHER than the system drive. Never record to the system drive... Keep that for all your system related and software realted programs... Get at least 2 other drives for the recored data.

cheers
geo

Hilton Media Management

Film Doctors http://www.filmdoctors.com
Me... http://georgiahilton.webs.com/
Stage 32 http://www.stage32.com/profile/6569/georgia-hilton
My Production Company http://www.hiltonmm.com

CREDITS (partial) http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0385255/resume
MEMBER: IATSE LOCAL 700
Old 06-23-2005, 07:57 PM

You say two other drives, why two? Im putting application Pro tools and reason on the system and an external HD for all the audio and midi from pt and reason. You said get two other drives.Should I put reason and BFD on one external drive(not the system drive for reason) and all the pt audio on another external drive? Or, put ptools and reason on the system and just use one external for the BFD drums and another for all the ptools and reason audio and midi. Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 09:15 PM

Quote:
You say two other drives, why two? Im putting application Pro tools and reason on the system and an external HD for all the audio and midi from pt and reason. You said get two other drives.Should I put reason and BFD on one external drive(not the system drive for reason) and all the pt audio on another external drive? Or, put ptools and reason on the system and just use one external for the BFD drums and another for all the ptools and reason audio and midi. Thanks
This is pretty basic stuff covered in the first few pages of the ProTools and BFD manuals.

(The following assumes you also have a hard drive available for backup, and the backup drive is not included in the illustrations below.)

If you have the capacity for three Hard Drives, then:

Drive C: System (Pro Tools, BFD program only, other softsynths and programs)

Drive D: Audio (this is where your Pro Tools Sessions go--never on Drive C, you're sure to have a spectacular crash)

Drive E: Samples (this is where your samples go obviously. All of the BFD samples on the rest of the disks that came with the program go here. If you read the BFD manual, they tell you as much.)

If you only have two Hard Drives, then you can combine Audio and Samples on the second drive.

Always keep audio files on a dedicated hard drive. Samples count as Audio really. Exceptions to this general rule are very limited, usually involving things like softsynths that manipulate the same small wavefile (extremely small) over and over again, preset after preset, etc.

Now please pour yourself a serving of your favorite beverage, find a cozy spot (but not so cozy that you fall asleep) and read your manuals.

Best of luck.