Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2002, 02:03 PM

Default Re: Favorite plug-ins for post, and how do you use them?

I use Waves Ren EQ and Ren Compressor as my main EQ and Comp. I use Reverb One and Waves Ren Reverb for verbs. Pitch and Time 2.0 I use a lot for time stretching SFX and pitch shifting. Sci Fi and Lo FI are cool sometimes for sound desgin purposes. I use Waves C4 and L1 for mastering purposes. All in all I would say I can't live without the Waves stuff (mainly because I've used them for so long) and Pitch And Time 2.0 (because it's the only decent time/pitch shift pluggin I've found).

-Chuck
Old 07-14-2002, 02:04 PM

Channel Strip (Metric Halo) realy good eq. I use it to re-balance the sound, remove city "roar" where not wanted, fixing all kinds of misc problems. Also "gain" used to boost unusably low sounds but also to add a touch of impact by slight over gaining (gain to +3 or so), realy useful for adding impact to a too soft hit etc. GRM tools for creating BG tones and assorted wierd sounds.
For post, since you never know what PI are available down stream I prefer TDM/AS combo plugins or RTAS/AS. I play around with the TDM or RTAS version till I get what I want, save the preset then prosess with AS. You could also record to another track, I usualy find the AS more streight forward.
Old 07-14-2002, 02:16 PM

RE: Waves PI's
I used to use them alot, I got POed at waves for compatability issues and a rather ridiculus update policy so I dumped them. If you can deal with the serial port dongle and version 2.8.1 I have the delay & EQ that I could let you have very cheap. also Hyperprism, I thought it would do lots of stuff that I would want but it turns out I never use it. I don't have quality issues with any of the above I just found Hyperprism didn't "ring my bell" and I have management issues with Waves.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:36 AM

Default Favorite plug-ins for post, and how do you use them?

Just wondering what people are using in terms of plug-ins for post production, and how you're using them. I have a PT 24 Mix Plus system, and pretty much use the plugs that came with it. I just recently got the Waves Restoration Bundle, very handy for those "bad" interviews with fans blowing, or generators etc.

Thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com
Old 07-17-2002, 11:04 PM

As a Dialog/ADR editor, all I use is gain (I much prefer this over drawing volume changes), DINR (very VERY sparingly...never want the re-recording mixer to know I used it), and occasionally a high pass filter just in spots to lose mic rumble. And of course, time compression/expansion, although I use the smart tool for that.

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 07:45 AM

Waves Gold, love it, all the time. Especially L1 and Renn. EQ and lots of Audio Suite FX.
DINR, must be careful I've had disasters with artifacts.
Auto Tune, just used it last night for a custom music bed.
I draw all automation.
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 10:19 AM

i once amazed a director by using pitch doctor to automate the calming of an obnoxious over-actor. we literally edited the melody of his speech to chill him out. amazing tool.

othewise, my staples are:
Outboard:
dolby 430 Background noise supressor
TC M3000 reverb

Plug in:
Channelstrip is my default eq. Sits well on the pro conrtol and the hui.

Waves gold de esser, q10 for nasty notches (sometimes better than cs)

Reverb one

Waves restoration X

Maxim. great output limiter. Keeps me "legal" for broadcast specs. When a delivery requirement says no peaks over -8dbfs, they mean it, and Maxim makes it easy to contain the abitious transients.

BF La2a. nice soft dialog compressor, but the one in CS works well too.

peace
tp

www.tompaul.com
Old 07-18-2002, 01:59 PM

As an FX designer, I use the Waves Enigma plug a lot. It helps me get some very creative sounds from not so creative sources. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-18-2002, 04:12 PM

As a dubbing mixer, I use a lot Filterbanks, F2, P2 or E2, depending on the correction I wanna make on dialogues. De-esser, Digi or Waves and Compressorbank in various flavors to keep levels where I want them. DINR very rarely, Dolby Orange Box often for BG noise removal. Behringer 8ch Denoiser to remove tape hiss. L1 or Maxim for limiting. Lexicon 480 and Lexiverbs. That's it!
Branko
Old 07-18-2002, 09:42 PM

Regarding Maxim,

There is some latency in using this plug-in, right? I have found when laying back my mixes to digibeta, if I use Maxim, the sync is a little off. What's the fix for this? Nudge the whole session back a frame?

Thanks.
[email protected]
http://www.boomchic.com