Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-07-2010, 09:06 PM

Default ROOM acoustics

Hi everyone, hope I make the right decision?

my recording room is 20' x 25', with 10ft ceilings, I had auralux design team layout the treatment of the room, well I purchased half of what they recommended as far acoustic treatment and the room sounds good so far, but currently the floor is concrete, but I have a chance this weekend the to have someone put a nice high grade commercial carpet, and the neat thing about the carpet is that the weaving is super tight, tightest I've seen in all the years in construction, it also has different heights of pattern on it too, meaning not being the same height in ever spot, I suspect it would compensate for the lacking of the rest of the acoustic treatment I couldn't afford ( BUT ), am I killing the room?, I mainly use it for drum tracking, I figure later I can put wood flooring over the top later down the road, but for now I think it's workable?, please give good news?, THANKS

Old 03-08-2010, 08:32 AM

Default Re: ROOM acoustics

Quote:
Originally Posted by basslik View Post
Hi everyone, hope I make the right decision?

my recording room is 20' x 25', with 10ft ceilings, I had auralux design team layout the treatment of the room, well I purchased half of what they recommended as far acoustic treatment and the room sounds good so far, but currently the floor is concrete, but I have a chance this weekend the to have someone put a nice high grade commercial carpet, and the neat thing about the carpet is that the weaving is super tight, tightest I've seen in all the years in construction, it also has different heights of pattern on it too, meaning not being the same height in ever spot, I suspect it would compensate for the lacking of the rest of the acoustic treatment I couldn't afford ( BUT ), am I killing the room?, I mainly use it for drum tracking, I figure later I can put wood flooring over the top later down the road, but for now I think it's workable?, please give good news?, THANKS
Anyone?

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 AM

Personally, if I had the money and was building from scratch, I'd lay wood flooring on the concrete then add rugs or whatever later. But I'd probably finish the auralex treatment first, just to see what (if anything) still needs correcting.

Bandcamp
Soundcloud
Old 03-08-2010, 09:23 AM

From what I've heard, carpet is too thin to really make much difference. It will only slightly absorb the very highest frequencies. You would probably be better off treating the rest of your room first.

Also, try to put sofas and chairs in the room as much as possible, they can serve well as bass traps. Also, some thick curtains will help a little.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinmansfield View Post
Personally, if I had the money and was building from scratch, I'd lay wood flooring on the concrete then add rugs or whatever later. But I'd probably finish the auralex treatment first, just to see what (if anything) still needs correcting.
colinmansfield, Thanks for your input, yea I can't afford the foam quite yet, but I was thinking for now that the commercial grade, which is glued down without any padding. / can hold me over until I can lay wood flooring over the the carpet itself, and thus having a floating floor?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
From what I've heard, carpet is too thin to really make much difference. It will only slightly absorb the very highest frequencies. You would probably be better off treating the rest of your room first.

Also, try to put sofas and chairs in the room as much as possible, they can serve well as bass traps. Also, some thick curtains will help a little.
Thank you nst7, can always count on you for great feedback, yea I can't swing the cash for treatment quite yet, I'll keep researching but from what I suspect it really won't make that much of a difference, especially being tight commercial glue down and no padding.
while I have you on the line, please critique my demos when you have time bud. a live recording session I did, thanks in advanced.
Abandoned Theory on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Old 03-08-2010, 12:28 PM

Corners are the key, especially the 3-way corners. On a budget, if you have four heavy packing blankets, throw them on the floor in the corners. For the upper corners, you can velcro throw pillows into them. Looks funny but the improvement in sound is astonishing.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM

There's lots of advice on floor treatments over at gearslutz.com.
2019 16" MBP, 32GB, 1TB SSD; OSX 10.15.7; 4TB USB-C G-Tech External
Summit Audio 2BA-221, TLA-50 -->Focusrite 18i20 3rd Gen, Eleven Rack, Pro Tools 2021.3
Plugins, Virtual Instruments, and real ones
Old 03-08-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedorama View Post
There's lots of advice on floor treatments over at gearslutz.com.
Thanks guy's, I'm checking everywhere before I commit to the carpet.

Old 03-08-2010, 06:57 PM

If you really want some serious bass trapping in the corners, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get some bales of fiberglass insulation. Stack them up in the corners. Looks horrible, but works great. If you want it to look better you can get a floor to ceiling curtain, thumbtack it to the ceiling and let it hang in front of the stack.