Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Default Intel to PPC Compatibility Problems

I'm having a problem when I open sessions from a friend's studio created on Intel machines on my PPC machine. I get little cracks and pops in the audio. They are random and don't show up in the same place on each playback. I never have this problem when I create my own sessions or when I get them from other PPCs. The intels are running 7.4.2 (one is HD2 OS 10.5.5 the other is LE OS 10.4.11) and I'm running 7.4 on my Dual 2.7 G5 with 1.5Gigs of RAM OS 10.4.9 (HD2). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Intel to PPC Compatibility Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardace View Post
I'm having a problem when I open sessions from a friend's studio created on Intel machines on my PPC machine. I get little cracks and pops in the audio. They are random and don't show up in the same place on each playback. I never have this problem when I create my own sessions or when I get them from other PPCs. The intels are running 7.4.2 (one is HD2 OS 10.5.5 the other is LE OS 10.4.11) and I'm running 7.4 on my Dual 2.7 G5 with 1.5Gigs of RAM OS 10.4.9 (HD2). Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Sounds like RTAS is overloading! also some RTAS plugs prefer to run on one processor. what's the CPU meter reading, try one processor in the playback engine.

As the session came from LE all the plugs will instantiate as RTAS so convert as many as possible to TDM

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Intel to PPC Compatibility Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Sounds like RTAS is overloading! also some RTAS plugs prefer to run on one processor. what's the CPU meter reading, try one processor in the playback engine.

As the session came from LE all the plugs will instantiate as RTAS so convert as many as possible to TDM

Chris
Thanks Chris! I switched to one RTAS processor and it worked! The funny thing is, I didn't have any RTAS plugins running in this project and I only have this problem when I get sessions from Intel machines. Sessions I create on my PPCs don't suffer from this even when I use RTAS plugs. It's very strange. Anyway, Thanks again for your help. This was driving me insane!

John