Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2006, 02:39 PM

Default ADAT to PTMixPlus via ADAT bridge...digital pops?

I tried for 3 hours to get an ADAT (lightpipe out) to talk to my G4 dual 1.42 ghz/Pro Tools Mix Plus via an ADAT Bridge 24, and always got digital spikes/pops no matter what I tried. I then plugged the lightpipe out of the ADAT to another machine with an RME Hammerfall DSP card, and everything was happy.

Since I invested so much $$ in the Pro Tools system I don't want to believe that the $500 Hammerfall card is my best bet for any lightpipe I/O...can anyone offer any advice for getting the ADAT bridge to behave itself? Is it perhaps a clocking issue? I cabled wordclock out from my 888/24 to the ADAT bridge, then tried taking the 888/24 out of the chain and connecting the ADAT bridge directly to the MIX card on the mac, and neither way worked. I had previously tried to get a PC with gigasampler to feed into my mac with this same setup, and remember having the same problem with random digital pops.

Any advice or experiences would be much appreciated!

Tim
Old 05-09-2006, 08:03 AM
Avid

Default Re: ADAT to PTMixPlus via ADAT bridge...digital pops?

How long were the ADAT cables? Sometimes the length of the cables can be a factor.

Also, was your session sample rate and the ADAT sample rate the same? Did you have Pro Tools set to clock to the ADAT?
Old 05-28-2006, 05:13 PM

Default Re: ADAT to PTMixPlus via ADAT bridge...digital po

The cables are relatively short - maybe 24-36 inches. I was attempting to sync to the 888/24. I just ordered a Lucid master clock so maybe that will solve the issue...
TC