Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM

Default Destructive Record is making a new region suddenly

I'm using the destructive record technique to create a contiguous region containing my mix as I go so that I can export this region rather than having to do a realtime bounce - working to very strict time guidelines (radio production)

The problem is, suddenly and for no apparent reason, my destructive record track creates a new region at the beginning of a recording, even though it overlaps the end of a previous one. This negates the whole process. If I go back and delete the previous (good) region and the new one and start the process again it seems to work fine, but this takes as long or longer than doing a bounce in the first place. It seems to happen only when the record region reaches a particular length, in this case only about a minute
Old 01-20-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Destructive Record is making a new region suddenly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't recording the mix take exactly the same amount of time as bounce to disk? In any case, I have had an occasional bought with PT entering record when I only hit play. Of course, the first time I freaked out for a moment. Then I remembered that wonderful key combo of ctrl-Z. I wonder if it is a PT problem or an 002 problem.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-24-2006, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Destructive Record is making a new region sudd

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't recording the mix take exactly the same amount of time as bounce to disk? In any case, I have had an occasional bought with PT entering record when I only hit play. Of course, the first time I freaked out for a moment. Then I remembered that wonderful key combo of ctrl-Z. I wonder if it is a PT problem or an 002 problem.
It's quicker because you add to the completed mix recording every time you do an edit and listen back to check... while playing back you're destructively recording onto a spare track, then just export the region from there rather than listen again in real time. For me it's usually just V.O.s and by the time I've edited all the takes together I've listened to each one a dozen times & certainly don't want to sit through them again while there's someone waiting for them.

I discovered my problem occurs in one form or another when trying to destructively record over a previous destructive recording. I had inadvertantly created some small regions separated from my main one in the destructive "mix" track. When the main region grew to encompass these it either could not record over them even though it appeared to (with subsequent recordings creating a new region), or it would but the new recording was itself new region.