Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Default new user question about software

Hi digi users,
I just purchased a new 003 factory, its on its way now. I am a PC guy, and plan to install protools on my desktop and laptop. I have heard of course that protools works better on a mac. My question is, if I decide to switch to a mac that will mean i will be installing the software and plug ins on 4 different computers. Is there a limit to the amount of installations with this software?

thanks I'm sure this is an easy answer to find out on my own, but I am a little behind the curve when it comes to computers
Old 09-09-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Re: new user question about software

legally you can use it on two but in actuality you could install it on 1000 machines as you can only ever use it on the one our hardware is connected to at any one time.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:04 PM

Dont believe everything you hear bro. Take a tour in the Mac section of the board and you will see they have just as many problems as a PC user, though differant things affect each platform. There is no reason a PC cannot be as stable as a Mac is said to be. Once Windows 7 drops you will see that Many Mac users will be dumping OSX or at least dual booting.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-09-2009, 01:16 PM

My PC LE rig has been solid since I built it a few years ago. Just like in the Mac setup, make sure you follow the instructions on how to optimize your system.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
Once Windows 7 drops you will see that Many Mac users will be dumping OSX or at least dual booting.
LMAO You must be Bill Gates or a marketer for Microsoft.

I'll never understand why any "true" Mac user would dual boot with any kind of Windows OS. Even a standard Mac user. One of their easiest sales pitch to anyone is they get virtually no viruses on a Mac, and then users want to put XP on it as well? What's the point of that?

"Once Windows 7 drops" could be a hefty fall.

Microsoft has been known to release new operating systems with many bugs still not worked out (ahem, VISTA... ). Now, given that most of the work on Windows 7 has already been done since the release of Vista, fixing it all up MIGHT have it ready for release in October. After that, we'll all get to see what'll cause the blue screen of death and any other bug that likely is scurrying throughout the OS.

Oh, and from what I've seen, many designs of Windows 7 look like they come from Vista. If that's so, you should be thanking Apple for designing sleek OS layouts that arguably 'inspired' the new Windows.

This has been one of those "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" commercials.

Oh yea, I should be clear on the real issue. A Mac CAN be easier to use for Pro Tools, but is not the fix-all. I agree with anyone on that. I just had to laugh about the Windows 7 premature praising.
Old 09-09-2009, 01:31 PM

I got that info from an article online about mac users. Yes Windows 7 is alot like Vista, both are capable of about the same, just they removed Windows Movie Maker (at least that what I read on kommando.com) and slimmed it down to about 6GBs, while Vista was 12GBs and is now with all updates and service pack up to 16GBs i believe. And not to mention a completly new kernel. Im happy with Vista, would never go back to XP, but there is no denying that Windows 7 will be better, as they kept the features of Vista but slimmed down the Ram usage.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM

I read this somewhere on this forums's front page: "No "Mac vs. PC" platform wars allowed on the DUC"
Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM

And i forgot to mention, iv used PCs for 15 years and have never got a virus that was no easily removed, and that was probably 10 years ago! Havent had a virus since! I dont know where all these people are getting viruses from.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-09-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
I read this somewhere on this forums's front page: "No "Mac vs. PC" platform wars allowed on the DUC"
We are not having a "war" I just pointed out that a PC can easily be as stable as a Mac is said to be, and someone disagreed. thats all.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 09-09-2009, 01:40 PM

My argument about Windows 7 was against Mac, not Vista. I'm sure Windows 7 will be better than Vista, that's the point of them releasing it after all. I just think suggesting Mac users will turn to Windows 7 is a wild leap off a cliff that might have a safe and happy landing.

Until Windows 7 is complete and fully released, I don't yet see any potential that it will be Microsoft's way of deterring people from buying Mac.