Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2003, 12:57 AM

Default PT 6.1 and FocusRite IAS 428 Digital Output

The question is:

How could i get the same level on the ISA digital meter and the PT Channel?

I mean I connected the Optical OUT of ISA 428 to the 192 I/O input and switch on the soft limiter on Focuerite.

But whenever i input a signal that is near the max level the ISA doesn't exceed the headroom and doesn't light on the red led but PT channel clipped lighting the last led. Focus on that i'm talking about the output digital meter on ISA non on the input VU meter that has obviusly a different time integration even if i got red light on PT also when VU meter is not maxed too.

So how about this, how softlimiter works, do i have to make any calibration? I thought that this was necessary only for the analog 192 i/o channels.

Any help?
Old 09-10-2003, 01:21 AM

Default Re: PT 6.1 and FocusRite IAS 428 Digital Output

Even if the Focusrite soft limiter is on, the output level may still exceed the level that the 192 IO can handle, which in this case looks like what's happening. So you may need to reduce the gain going from the ISA 428 into the 192 or apply the soft limiter in PT for the 192.
I think you'll find that the soft limiter function on the ISA 428 limits the signal before the conversion process takes place within itself. But it seems from what you say, the signal is still too high for the 192.
Anyway how good is the card, how good are the converters and are the converters as good or better than the 192 IO A to D. Does it sound good, cause I have a ISA 428 and thinking of getting the optional A to D card. Love some input before I take the plung.

Nick
Old 09-10-2003, 01:31 AM

What you're telling me seems right if i use the analog output and i plu it into the analog input of 192 I/O but i think this is not true for the digital output. How could it exceed the maximum level in one device and not in the other? same rate and bit depth, or am i on a wrongh way? anytime 192 i/o has the soft limiter only for analog channels, infact ISA softlimiter works before the a/d step for not clipping the digital conversion. Anyway apart for this thing i can't really understand, i got the digital card because i wanna to use all the 8 channels of input. I have just bought it and so i can't test it strongly but the first impression is i love ISA428, the sound and the warm of the pre, and the digital card seems to add a little bit of more definition than the 192.

Ciao, Eriberto
Old 09-10-2003, 05:58 AM

Eriberto
Yes I love my ISA428 and that is great news about the AD card sounding so good. I can't help yet cause I haven't received my card, but as soon as I get it I'll let you know what I find.

Nick