Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2002, 09:29 PM

Default Re: MY HONEST THOUGHTS ON XP RELEASE

Quote:
Originally posted by gerax:
Hi guys

Please don't flame at me, but honestly, my thoughts on this new release aren't so pretty: to me after all of the time, crying, begging, delaying of announced release dates, and all of this waiting, 32 tracks and Control 24 support isn't that much: I really felt a little like " well, is this the best you can do?", sure, 32 tracks is cool (even if I really didn't feel the overwehlming need for them), but I think some major features (that still are Mac only) like dual monitor support, or dual processor support were left apart: they included video support: great, so some simple features like the previous ones could have been usefull too, and in the end more usefull than a little cosmetic upgrade in the Playback engine/ hardware setup panels (IMO).
I'll wait a couple of months before upgrading, since I'm in the middle of some projects and my PTLE setup on 98SE works like a charm right now.
Plus all of the other apps I'm using that didn't get XP drivers (Sonic Foundry CD Architect first) aren't going to work with XP, so I'm definitely waiting.

Cheers

L.G.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">We wanted to be able to RUN PTLE on Win XP, not get a completley different piece of software!

Digi gave us PTLE for WinXP and threw in some extra stuff, not just drivers to run it, but more tracks! We are lucky we got that for a $800 piece of gear... and can still say I have ProTools.

People respect the name ProTools... and to get that withought shelling out $40,000 on a HD/TDM system, is really cool.

I just think we now have something to be happy about with this new update.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Old 06-22-2002, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by el matador:
-all the "mac only" features
-all the "mac only" plugins.
-and the end of the mac snob digidesign employees. (you all know what I am talking about)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">1) can you name the "mac only" features we are lacking ? as far as I know these have all been rectified in the XP release. We now have OMF support (if you pay for it), we now have direct connect, we now have video tracks, we also have 32 audio tracks

2) as for mac only plugins blame the third party manufacturers for abandoning us digi can't force them to release their plugins.

3) nothing wrong with mac snobs

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Marcus
Old 06-23-2002, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marcusb:

2) as for mac only plugins blame the third party manufacturers for abandoning us digi can't force them to release their plugins.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I just received this email from Universal Audio, as a response to my question on why Powered Plugins don't support the RTAS format.

Here it is:
-------------------------------------------------
Greetings Lorenzo, and thank you for your interest in the UAD-1 Powered
Plug-ins bundle,

Unfortunately, we have no plans to support the RTAS or TDM format at this
time. We are unable to obtain a license from Digidesign to develop an RTAS
or TDM version of our software. Since posting this clarification we have
received a substantial amount of feedback from many users who in fact do
want us to support RTAS or TDM. For the record we would be happy to discuss
such a wonderfully creative collaboration with Digidesign at any time.

UAD-1 Powered Plug-Ins are currently fully compatible with Steinberg Cubase
and Nuendo, and Logic Audio on the PC/MAC-VST platform, and we are planning
to release them for Digital Performer MAS systems soon.

Keep an eye on our website for more information and future news:
http://www.uaudio.com/PPI.
If you have any other questions, please feel free to email or call.
------------------------------------------------

I hope this makes ring some bell in Digi's headquarters.

L.G. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 03:31 AM

recordingguy

I definitely am a Pro Tools guy, period. I only wish Digi to keep the LE version a little more up to date with the other software of its level. I work both on my project studio's LE setup and on bigger TDM and HD rigs in a couple of larger studios around here, and though XP drivers could and will make for a better DAW I don't think the features I mentioned above would change Pro Tools in a completely different piece of software, just more powerful and modern.

Cheers

L.G.
Old 06-23-2002, 04:51 AM

Well, if Digidesign gives a license to Universal Audio to make powered plugins it would cut into their TDM biz, no?
Old 06-23-2002, 06:48 AM

I think "Hell would freeze over" before Digi will offer a lisence to UAD for porting their DSP cards to RTAS. Not in your lifetime. Not in Digi's lifetime. But I do think that Digi needs to realize "what is good for the goose, is good for the gander". TDM works well for Pro Tools, and UAD's DSP cards will eventually works well on the other audio platforms.

This DC thing in RTAS is a bit of a hollow victory. We've got the plumbing, but nothing to flow through the pipe. But it also only gives developers one method to bring synth products to PTLE/PC -DC. I don't believe this is sufficient this late in the game. In addition, the devolper needs to get Digi's "permission" to develop for the platform. So if they don't have a great relationship, or there have been tensions, or they just hate each other, we may never see some good products.

I think the next BIG issue for PTLE/PC is CONNECTIVITY!! I would like to see Digi suupport at least one general non-proprietary standard for soft synth. This standard is looking to be REWIRE. DaBaSsTaRd has been talking about this, and I personally believe he is right. Third part support is critical to the development of any platform. A technology like REWIRE will allow apps written for the PC to work in PTLE. Syth owners will not have to grovel before Digi to develop for PTLE PC (although I'm sure Digi does not require vendors to grovel. Perhaps, a little hommage!). Softsynts will come in quicker and with greater variety if rewire is supported. Connectivity should also include highly desired drivers, like GSIF, WDM, DirectX... These are the types of tools needed to make programs work together, and make music happen.

Digi is currently setting development goals for their next XP release/update. I believe the number #1 priority should be connectivity- i.e.. REWIRE, and other drivers. Number #2- proper dual monitor support!
Old 06-23-2002, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pmklein:
Well, if Digidesign gives a license to Universal Audio to make powered plugins it would cut into their TDM biz, no?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">This may or may not have anything to do with anything, but there was a big stink between UA and Digi when the UA powered plugin card came out. UA made some claims that weren't entirely accurate about its performance vs. Digi TDM and UA had to release a retraction.
Old 06-23-2002, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
rewire would be AWESOME! i don't think reason conflicts with digi's core mission.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Rewire is a free and open-source technology available free to everybody from Propellerhead. I believe Cubase, Nuendo, Digital Performer and Sonar already support Rewire2. (Just one major player not onboard!) Reason from Propellerhead is rewire-capable, as are all of their porducts. Also Bitzhead Unity and other softsynths support Rewire2. I think even Kobolo is rewire-capable. So, any two Rewire products will work together, instantly, without setup, with sample accurate timing, upto 64 channels of audio and midi info. Sounds good to me! So, If Digi got on board, there would be even more products for Rewire. And if PTLE/XP supported rewire, we would instantly have access to all of these softsynt products, right now. No waiting, very reliable, very stable, excellent sounding. Direct Connect is fine, I'd love to try it out when somebody develops an application for it on the PC. But I think Rewire support will really speed things up for us poor softsynth-starved customers!
Old 06-23-2002, 02:49 PM

Quote:
and the end of the mac snob digidesign employees.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, well, well,

I could really drop a bomb and burn the whole duc down to the ground with this one.

YOu call these mac wielding pimps snobs

For ease of comparison, let me use the old car trick for this one.

You are driving down the street in your toyota, or honda, or chevy, or whatever.

You "always see those snobs" in the BMW, or Mercedes, etc.

Now we all know that those cars are REALLY nice.

And we all know people who can't afford them (me included)

But to judge people because they use a bmw or a mac is totally not PC (politically correct)

but more like PC (Player Hater COmputering)

DO you want to try and tell me that if you worked for digi, and had your choice of platforms to choose from with no out of pocket expenses, you WOULDN'T use the Mac?

"here Mr. Hater, we wanna give you a car. Your choice, BMW or honda"

YOu probably would pick the Honda huh?

Oh, and if you call the "pro's choice for creative computing" (mac) users snobs, and they happen to work for DIgi, do you think thats gonna get you an M box any quicker???

Or how about Samplecell??

el matador, if I let you taste the flava of using my mac for a week, you would probably stop hating them and run and get a couple extra jobs so you could enjoy the decadence...

Remember that old school eddie murphy??

I got some ice cream, i got some ice cream, and you don't have none....

Mac snobs (yeah you too digi) unite!!!

And lets go have some caviar, white star, and smoked black rhino, while we talk of all things mac!!!

P.S. Congrats to you PeeCEE guys who finally get your update. I am gonna try and rent CiTi's machine sometime this week so I can get those extra tracks..... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2002, 02:51 PM

No arguement that getting soft synth/samplers is high on my wish list, too.
Whether it's through Direct Connect, RTAS, or Calling All Cars, I could give a u-know-what about the method. It's results that count!

Just seems like the responsibility is placed too much on Pro Tools in a lot of the opinions I've read lately. Looks like thay've done their part unifying TDM and LE onto the same code. This is a major step forward.

As marcusb points out, ... It's not up to Digidesign to write Rewire code, or write Logic or Digital Performer. It's up to those companies that produce those products to write the code that would make 'em work in the PT environment. I believe it will happen. But the XP LE had to come first!

This is week one for those companies, too- writing one code for XP that will run on TDM as well as LE is a new ballgame for the 3rd party developers, and has to be a lot more attractive than the former 9x, Me, NT/W2k no-DC-on-LE morass that they faced up to this point.

If Digi does not give permission for those people to go ahead, that's one thing- but it's misplacing the focus to nag Digi to develop these things... it isn't up to them!

Don't spill too many tears over the UA cards, because their latency is such that you can't use 'em in real time anyway, if that helps any.

BTW I think there's plenty wrong with ANY snobs, Mac or otherwise.