Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-2001, 07:07 PM

Default LET\'S BE HONEST HERE!!!!!!!!

I'VE NOTICED THAT ALL YOU PROTOOLS USER OUT THERE CLAIM THAT THIS SYSTEM IS THE BEST FOR EVERYTHING !!!!!! BUT I COME TO FIND OUT THAT; EVERYTIME I READ ABOUT MAJOR PRODUCER AND ENGINEERS, I COME TO FIND OUT THAT NOBODY LIKES TO USE THIS PROGRAM. ( NOT EVEN EDITING BECAUSE IT MAKES YOU OVER DO YOU PRODUCTION.)

ANSWER THIS PLEASE, IF WE ARE STRIVING TO BE THE BEST OR REACH FOR THE BEST WHY IS THE BEST NOT FOLLOWING THE TREND WITH THIS PROGRAM.

HOLLA!!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 07:21 PM

Default Re: LET\'S BE HONEST HERE!!!!!!!!

Shut up and

Go and try to over-edit in Logic or Digital Performer! I can't understand how it's possible to do even basic editing within those horrendous MIDI-based environments...

Pro Tools may not be the best solution for everyone. If you don't like it or don't want to learn it, use something else, by all means.

With Thunda and Litening,

Z
Old 07-17-2001, 07:28 PM

SEE, I KNEW SOME WOULD BE DUMB AND STUPID AND THINK I''m TRYING TO RANK ON POOR DIGIDESIGN, YOU,VE GOT IT TWISTED!!!!!!

ALL I'M SAYING IS WE ALL WWANT OUR MIXES AND RECORDINGS TO SOUND BETTER OR LIKE WAHT WE HEAR ON THE RADIO OR HEAR ON A CD AND IF THE GUYS WERE LISTENING TO SAY HEY THATS STUFFS COOL BUT WERE NOT REALLY USING THAT ARE WE JUST BEING FOOLED BY SALES GIMMIKS AND TACTICS, WERE THE GUY SMILES NEXT TO THE PRO-CONTROL AND LIES AND SAY WE USE THAT.

I LOVE MY DIGI-OO1 BUT I DO WANT TO KNOW WHAT REALLY GOING ON????

HOLLA
Old 07-17-2001, 07:40 PM

Sorry for my misunderstanding! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

The so-called top producers and engineers have this problem : they are often of old age, and have grown up in the analog era with analog tapes and consoles. It really is no wonder if they can't grasp the working methods of Pro Tools succesfully and they then complain about sound quality or whatever. You just can't mix with Pro Tools like you would on analog equipment!

The situation will certainly change when those old men retire and the younger generation breaks through. 10 years from now on, and Pro Tools maybe considered obsolite antique!

I've heard stunning mixes done on both Digi001 and Pro Tools TDM. There's really no need to be concerned about so-called top producers' negative opinions about PT. If you're, if WE'RE up to it, we'll make radio or whatever world class quality on our PT's! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Z
Old 07-17-2001, 07:43 PM

SPOKEN LIKE A TRUE PROTOOLS GURU!!!!
Old 07-17-2001, 07:58 PM

Well thank you! Let's say I'm really swift with PT when it comes to editing and overall system management but honestly I have too little experience about recording and mixing considering how long I've been using it...

Still it has very few times come to my mind to blame Pro Tools (the program or the hardware) if my mixes have sucked. More often it has been a question of a sucking band and too little time and so on...

I'll wish you the best luck!

Z
Old 07-17-2001, 08:08 PM

i have noticed that alot of people use protools for editingp; then they would use some big SSLmixing board to do the mix??

whats your call
Old 07-17-2001, 08:12 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR> have noticed that alot of people use protools for editingp; then they would use some big SSLmixing board to do the mix?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, your perceptive!
Old 07-17-2001, 08:19 PM

a couple points here.

first off, if a guy says he used an SM 57 mic on his project does it mean that's the only mic he used? of course not. Major label producers use the tools they feel are best for specific jobs and sometimes that means only portions of major label releases are produced on a single platform or with one type of tool.

None the less when a guy says he used an SM57 mic on his platinum album he's telling the world he had enough faith in it to do the job he needed done. So if a guy just uses protools to edit tracks and cut and paste loops, then that was the tool he chose for that part of the job. Still means he trusted protools.

2nd.. Protools' cut and paste editing makes easy work out of extremely difficult complicated and very maticulous processes that long time major label producers and engineers spent decades learning how to do "The Old Way" and many look down on PT and other DAW platforms as a copout on doing things the "Right" way and a lazy shortcut to perfecting what otherwise might be average music.

In turn it's easy for the analog snobs to scoff at PT created music as some kinda computer trick to make so so music sound commercial (insinuating that "REAL MUSIC" must be played perfectly note by note etc).

So to avoid the stigma of being seen as a shortcut taking techno head, they will play down their involvement in using protools. But believe me, everyone of them uses it in some way or another. They may not admit it, but when they need it? They use it.

and "C" Even many major label producers and engineers are still intimidated by the whole DAW process. They have spent their lives learning how to make music a completely different way and don't trust their experience totally to a new technology that they don't completely understand. So they use what they know how to use. They have studied music, sound, and the technology of sonic management from the mic capsule to the eardrum, but didn't spend their college careers studying MAC OS or PC Windoze or interupt commands or extension sets or SCSI cards or fire wire connections.

They know how to make music, and many of them can make better music on a 1 inch 16 track analog machine using acoustic instruments and a shure SM57 mic, than many of us could make using the newest technology in DAW Recorders, plugins and state of the art mics. Why? Not because they didn't use Protools

A few years ago we hired a contractor to build a garage onto our house. He used a hammer and nails, not a superfantastical ultradynamic nuclear powered Nail Gun. He pounded every nail in by hand. It actually cost us MORE and took longer to have him build the garage than his competitors using high dollar nail guns and computer assisted designing gear. Why did we have him build it? Because the guy just knows how to build buildings right. We didn't care what tools he used.

Why do some pros NOT use protools (or not admit to it)? Because they simply know how to build good musical buildings using something else.

Does that mean PT is bad or good? Nope, not at all. It means it's a tool with it's pros and cons and some of us rely on it's strengths to help give us the competitive edge over our competitors that have the same level of expertise but not the advantage of using PT. Or perhaps like me? they just like taking those shortcuts to making average music sound exceptionally good, without tasking the average musicians with being perfect performers. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Oh and BTW I think the phrase "NOBODY LIKES TO USE THIS PROGRAM" is in error. If that were true, every single major label studio, high end independent studio and freelance studio in the USA wouldn't have a PT TDM SYSTEM in their arsenal of gadgetry. ;-)

Ok, stepping off soapbox. I didn't mean that as a flame post. Just my read on things. Have a great week.
Old 07-17-2001, 08:33 PM

I GUESS I AM AN IDIOT AND SHOULD TAKE THIS TEC-9 AND BLAST MYSELF IN HEAD.

BECAUSE YOUR RIGHT MAYBE I'M LOOKING INTO IT TOO HARD.

IT'S NOT THE EQUIPMENT BUT THE PERSON BEHIND IT