Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2008, 09:32 AM

Default 003 FACTORY - CONSOLE or RACK ???

QUESTION 1
What is the difference between:
- the 003 factory original release version Pro Tools 7.3 that comes with Ignition Pack 2 Pro
- and the latest new model now?
- also with respect to features & price?

QUESTION 2
What would be a better choice:
- the Console model
- or the Rack model?
- and why?
Old 07-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Default Re: 003 FACTORY - CONSOLE or RACK ???

1-any new system should include 7.4 (or you will get a free upgrade thru DIGIDESIGN).

2-This one is up to you. Do you like mixing with a mouse or do you want to have some real knobs and faders to grab. The 003 mixer version has a lot of functions on it to save mousing around(but you will have more stuff to learn). No difference on inputs, outputs or sound quality. I like having the transport buttons and faders at hand so that's my preference. If you think you may want to be more portable(like for recording live on location), the rack version may be a better choice. You can buy a Command8 for a control surface but the 003 controller has lots more functionality.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-05-2008, 06:41 PM

Rack, RE: If you want to get your 003 modified, check out Black Lion Audio. They put a MUCH better clock in the system than what is in 003. That's the bad thing about Pro Tools LE system: the clock. Put an outboard clock on your system, and it will sound better, have better imaging, better depth, tighter and more defined bottom. They also put better A/D converters and better electronics into the 003 as well.

Anyway, Black Lion can't do the mods on the console version, because there isn't enough room.

I can attest to Black Lion Audio. I bought their outboard clock (called the Microclock) and it SMOKES the internal clock in Pro Tools. Once you have an outboard clock hooked into your system, you'll never go back to the standard internal clock in Pro Tools.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:00 AM

Very subjective as to them being better, since it comes down to better than what.
The BLA stuff can be cost effective, but I think the A2D has a better sound and based on what you get for the price a hard to beat deal.
The biggest advantage of the BLA mod is it's the only ways to add any improvement to your multi channel sound at 96k since the analog I/O is the 96k multi channel route.

Quote:
Anyway, Black Lion can't do the mods on the console version, because there isn't enough room.
They are only unable to do the tweakhead, they can still do the one called HD.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:

QUESTION 2
What would be a better choice:
- the Console model
- or the Rack model?
- and why?
If you are considering the 003R I would save the money get an 002R add the BLA mod and pay the same or less than the 003R for a better unit.
You may think the same way if you get the 003R then decide to add the BLA mod to it.

The majority of the things Digi improved only apply to the 003 Console, they did a lot to enhance workflow.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:25 AM

Hey there, interesting post:

"but I think the A2D has a better sound and based on what you get for the price a hard to beat deal."

I'd be interested in what the A2D is. Is that another mod on the 002/003?

Thanks!!

tim
Old 07-06-2008, 08:38 AM

O.K., the A2D is the API pre-amp and A/D converter.

I've never used the mic pre-amps in my 001 or 003. I have been using a Grace 201 and then an Apogee Rosetta for the A/D. However, with the A2D, you're still left with mixdown through the 003. And that's where the mods really help. The difference in using an outboard clock, like the BLA Microclock, or the Apogee Big Ben, is a night and day difference.

Food for thought

Munit
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
However, with the A2D, you're still left with mixdown through the 003.
No you purchase D-to-A to go along with it.
As I said the BLA stuff is very cost effective but not necessarily the best solution.
I was using the Rosetta prior to the A2D and it was an easy choice when I compared the 2.
Some say the BLA sounds as good as the Rosetta but I don't.

There are lots of ways to change the frontend on the LE units, BLA is just the most cost effective way.
For me being able to use the digital I/O for 8 + 2 works better than using the modified analog I/O, YMMV based on your needs and other gear.

If you liked the Grace then the BLA pres would sound good to you, but neither is the sound direction I desire.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:44 AM

What kind of music do you do? I do mostly acoustic, and really like the Grace for it's non colored sound. I don't know if you can compare the Grace to the BLA mods, and besides, I'd only be interested in the BLA mods for mixdown. That really hasn't nothing to do with the mic pres in the 003, does it?
Old 07-06-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
What kind of music do you do? I do mostly acoustic, and really like the Grace for it's non colored sound. I don't know if you can compare the Grace to the BLA mods, and besides, I'd only be interested in the BLA mods for mixdown. That really hasn't nothing to do with the mic pres in the 003, does it?
R&B, Gospel and Hip Hop.
BLA pres' aren't colored.
Unfortunately the pres', the clock and converters are all part of the mod so they should be considered part of the overall investment.
It still comes down to your needs and goals.
If you want to work at 96k then the BLA mod is important.
If you want to work at 48k but want to sum 16 channel externally the BLA mod is important.
If you are working on a tight budget and want good returns for minial $$$ the BLA mod is important.
If you like the sound of the BLA pres then for the price of the mod and what it gives is pretty good.
The are lots of reasons to go with the mod or even the little Sparrow unit they now have it either suits your needs.