How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2007, 07:35 AM

Default Digi\'s sampler- Structure

Info

Looks really cool - drag and drop from PT...

...But why no Giga import?
Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Re: Digi\'s sampler- Structure

it does indeed look nice. I'm more concerned with how much digi will want for it. I guess 399.00 but with Digi no one knows. hopefully they price it competitively with other samplers on the market.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:29 PM

I just posted elsewhere saying that no Akai/Emu/Roland library import makes it useless to me. Also, you can only use it in PT.
It seems that the AIR folks are a bit out of touch with reality. Or, maybe Digi is too proud to ask / not willing to pay third-party companies specialized in sample-library conversion. I don't see a bright future for that piece of software and won't invest in it as it stands right now.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I just posted elsewhere saying that no Akai/Emu/Roland library import makes it useless to me. Also, you can only use it in PT.
Those formats are pretty much sampling standards, so I think we can refer to this message on the Structure page for comfort:
Quote:
Please note that this information is preliminary and may be subject to change.
And, the AIR instruments are all PT only, so why would this one be any different? They're not made for Cubase users, that's for sure !
Old 01-20-2007, 04:51 PM

hemloc - I use PT and Ableton Live so I choose tools that I can use on both platforms. In some cases, that is not possible (e.g. sony oxford plugs). Anyway, I do have all the respect for Cubase users as I don't see why people make fun of them and the software they use. It's not the tools that make you good, the opposite is true. I have heard projects in Cubase made by people who know how to make music and my jaw dropped after that. From that on, I stopped making fun of Cubase or any other program. Would you say that Arturia plugs are not good because you can use them in Cubase as vst plugs? C'mon, let's get over this short-sighted view.
IMO, they can only sell that sampler for less than $200 with the specs they have so far. Look at kontakt and see how much it offers for the price.
Old 01-20-2007, 06:19 PM

I think you're missing the point. Digidesign makes VI's exclusively for Pro Tools to make it more attractive to users to keep things within PT and to attract new users. AIR isn't a third party developer. AIR's VIs are optomized for PT, as they should be. I can guarantee that Structure's specs are very preliminary, and much more will be learned in the coming months. After reading about the Hans Zimmer/AIR collaboration, I can only imagine that it involves Structure and there will be some serious power behind it, as ol' Hans is pretty picky about stuff like this. I have no doubt that Structure will be a force to be reckoned with when it's finished.

And, I only mentioned Cubase because that's the first sequencer that came to mind besides Logic(Which can use PT TDM, so the point would be moot). Then again, Cubase users are always saying how PT's midi sucks, lol...
Old 01-20-2007, 07:02 PM

I got your point but I don't think I am missing the point. I see more and more people using more than one application, say PT and Live or PT and Logic. There are good reasons why they are doing that (inferior MIDI specs, no MTC unless you pay $1,200 for that feature with bonus plugs and 48 tracks on PTLE). That's all the more reason why I think you need tools that you can use on all the platforms you want to work on.
I don't buy products just because other people are on the front page advertising it. That's called marketing. On a side note, Hans Zimmer mostly uses Nuendo and Logic for film scoring. One more thing. If you really want to stream a lot of samples for orchestral work, you need a dedicated computer that runs only the soft sampler. So, integration with PT or whatever DAW isn't really an issue, it comes down to sending MIDI data from your DAW to the dedicated soft-sampler computer.
Maybe this Structure is gonna be great but unless it has a feature that equals the Kontakt script processor and support for AU, I'd say no thanks, not to mention that it should be a stand-alone application. That would be great.
Old 01-22-2007, 02:13 PM

im hearing it will be 499$ or 599$
Old 01-27-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
im hearing it will be 499$ or 599$
Thats way to much......Keeping it priced that high will not attract many new LE people i would suspect. Digi if your reading this ........

1) Why would someone want to spend $450 (Street price) on an mbox 2 then have to spend $500 (Street price) on a sampler that only works with Pro Tools. Personally I wouldn't mind spending $250-$300 on a really good sampler/instrument that is PT only...Did so With Hybrid and love it...

2)Logic's priced at $999 and comes with over a dozen software instruments......granted all LE systems come with the I/O interface and logic is software only......but you guys should try to get a similar priced package to affectively compete with logic or DP 5.
More free bundled instruments is an absolute must! even if you get $$$$ out of us users on an upgrade.....(PT 8)
Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM

I am really looking foward to this new RTAS sampler running under Pro Tool's hood. Altough I also think $599 or even $499 is pretty expensive. But I will give it a try for sure as soon they release a solid demo version.

I've used and tried a few soft samplers, SampleTank, Reason's NN-XT, Reaktor. I'm pretty curious to see -well, to hear- how Digi's Structure sampler will fight its way through the great ones.

Drone / Ambient / Experimental