Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-23-2002, 05:02 PM

Default Re: MY HONEST THOUGHTS ON XP RELEASE

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone Knife:
If Digi does not give permission for those people to go ahead, that's one thing- but it's misplacing the focus to nag Digi to develop these things... it isn't up to them!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">At this time, it is proper to nag Digi because they have not perfected the RTAS Instrument Specification for PC. As I stated in my post above, they are still struggling with Soft Sample Cell for PC. Third party developers cannot release devices until Digi straightens this out! There are reports posted in this forum from developers who are trying to release RTAS Instrument compatible devices but can't get them to work on PC (they work on Mac just fine). The problem with the spec must be corrected first. Digi owns the spec, so this is still a Digi problem.

Regarding DirectConnect, David Summich said he wanted to run all 3rd party DC compatible products through a detailed text matrix to insure that they (the vendors) properly implemented the DC Spec on PC. He further said these tests should occur prior to the release of the devices. (He referenced his past experience with releasing VST compatible devices that didn't fully comply with the VST Spec. I don't disagree with him on this - quality is very important). But, this is another area where it IS proper to keep the heat on Digi.

Quote:
Don't spill too many tears over the UA cards, because their latency is such that you can't use 'em in real time anyway, if that helps any.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Not true at all. Cubase VST & SX automatically compensates for UA's DPS latency. There is also a delay compesation plug-in available if needed for special situations. No, latency is not a problem with the UAD-1. Yes, the UAD-1 does provide real-time plug-ins AND many engineers have reported that those plug-ins sound as good as the "Real" devices they are simulating. Multi-card support is coming soon too!

It actually works better than Digi's TDM which has no auto latency compensation.