Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2023, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Compression on tracks and then on Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
actually the voice and instruments are good. it is the post processing I applied that kind of screwed it up and sometimes I don't even know how to undo it. For example on the first song recorded that I mentioned. I used Beat Detective and adjusted timings but it kind of shifts everything around like in a wave with flotsam and I don't necessarily like it. And, perhaps one of the tracks the amp that needs to be periodically charged was not strong enough and I am getting some distortion there. And somehow I had applied (unknowingly) some automation so I had to work on undoing it well you get the idea...just comedy central. Interestingly enough everyone likes the track lol but I hear and see the errors in there.

I use Focusrite 212, Shure SM58, Boss Compression CS-3 pedal that's about it ...
Don't use a compression pedal when recording, just use the mic and your interface preamp. You want a clean, un-effected recording (in my opinion). Compress it later in the mix.

Pro Tools creates backups for your session. Locate your session file folder "Session Name", find the subfolder named "Session File Backups", find the oldest backup file ["session name.bak.000.ptx]- this will be the original session/track, double click on it and Pro Tools will open the original session with the original track before you mixed it. Then, you can start over and mix your track from scratch.
Old 11-30-2023, 04:44 AM

wowza. You are soo right. On voice recording the difference is remarkable. I swapped it right away. What type plugin compressor would you use on a ukulele (laugh away) ?

Thank You.
Old 11-30-2023, 11:30 AM

Good point. Will do. Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsureit View Post
Don't use a compression pedal when recording, just use the mic and your interface preamp. You want a clean, un-effected recording (in my opinion). Compress it later in the mix.

Pro Tools creates backups for your session. Locate your session file folder "Session Name", find the subfolder named "Session File Backups", find the oldest backup file ["session name.bak.000.ptx]- this will be the original session/track, double click on it and Pro Tools will open the original session with the original track before you mixed it. Then, you can start over and mix your track from scratch.
Old 11-30-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin View Post
wowza. You are soo right. On voice recording the difference is remarkable. I swapped it right away. What type plugin compressor would you use on a ukulele (laugh away) ?

Thank You.
Without knowing what plugins you have, I would start with BF76 at 4:1. Set the input so the GR meter deflects some of the time and set the output so your track meter shows just into the yellow. Experiment with attack and release(slower attack will let initial transients thru while faster will clamp down quicker). This is as basic as it gets, and a good way to get started I agree with others that a compressor stompbox is not the way to go

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2023, 01:56 PM

Ukulele has sharp transients, which you want to smooth to get the body sound more in-your-face.

Maybe the 1176 lookalike does the trick, but you can try the dyn3 as well -- just set attack to zero to begin with and keep experimenting.