Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2007, 06:02 AM

Default ProTools Certification

Hey just wondering. Has anybody did the online certifications though Berkley are did the PT 101 cert on their own. I just brought the book/DVD for 101 and the Mix/Production box. Looking to read up and go for the Certs. hoping that they will carry some weight when it comes time to charging for your time (engineer/producer). I wrote Berkley, but still waiting to hear from them. Their classes last 12wks, which it to long, so I want to do it on my own. Heck, if you do a session everyday and know PT, why not go ahead and get a piece of paper that says you know what your doing.

Anybody with any info?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2007, 04:36 PM

Default Re: ProTools Certification

I took a PT101 course at Foothill College (a junior college in the Bay Area) this summer. We were supposed to take the test early in the course so we could evaluate ourselves. I took it the second week and passed it, missing only two questions. The test is "open book", so just get to know the book pretty well so you can refer to it during the test. Also have a PT session running if possible when you take the test.

My teacher, Bruce Tambling, is a big PT Expert (and awesome teacher). So he pointed out a couple of things to look out for on the test that helped as well.

If you've been using PT for a while and know basic recording principles, you should pass it no problem. A PT101 Cert might help you stand out to someone who's clueless about recording, but you'll probably need to get through the 200 series to get hired by anyone in the industry. Can anyone confirm this for me?

Great thing about being an official PT student is the discounts you get from Digi. My PT101 course cost me $80 (gotta love state schools), and now I can get the Music Production Toolkit for $250!

Also keep in mind that you can only take the test twice before you have to pay something like $30 to take it again.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 AM

erthquake thanks for the info. I just got a email back from Berkley and they make it sound like you "have" to take the course at a school. That you cant just walk in and take the test. I have to confirm this with Digi. Berkley is charging almost 1K per session, including the 101, so that can add up real quick, 1K times at least 3 classes, that's a good Mic/Amp (lol). I wish I could find a school around here that has it for under $100 and I'm in. Every IT cert that I've taken, I self studied, guess it dont stand true with Berkley and maybe Digi, maybe I have to dig a little further, some other facility might have different rules. Thanks for the update. Anybody know of any schools in N.Jersey that have any PT courses.

Thanks
Old 10-23-2007, 04:28 AM

That is the case. You do have to take the course before you take the test.
Similar to how you have to take the course for just about any subject before you can take the test, and get the credit.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Yeah, I guess that's the way it go. I'm looking into some schools here in Jersey to see what they offer, hope I dont have to wait until the winter sessions. Also, I dont mind taking a course if its something I need, but to pay 1K for the 101 course especially if you've worked on PT for some years now is a waste of money and they make it a prerequisite before you can take any other course. Maybe they can give a quick test to check your knowledge and allow you to skip the 101 and move on to the next. I'm reallying interested in the Mixing/Mastering course.

thanks again.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 AM

It used to be that you could take an online version of the 101 test and skip the course. Digi sells the 'self-study' book for 101 but there doesn't seem to be any useful information available about taking the test after you've self studied.

I agree with erthquake that no one is really going to be overly impressed with a 101 cert. Paying clients are going to respond to your skills not your pieces of paper. Be organized, efficient, creative and responsive and you'll build good relationships. If you want to build up your paying gigs - spend the money on effective equipment.

If you are looking for a job with an established studio the same things are true about your personal traits. Bear in mind that a lot of recording schools are building the PT certification into their programs, so having it doesn't guarantee anything.

If it is your goal to work at a bigger studio then I would recommend listing your top 10 'dream' places to work. Contact them about being an intern and prove to them that you are reliable and smart. Then swallow your pride for a little while and do it the old fashioned way. Make coffee, wrap mic cables, keep your eyes and ears open, ask questions and use the gear when you get the chance. This business still runs on relationships and getting to know established people can take you farther than paying digi for their stamp of approval. (sorry to the list owners here, of course). Doing a course online is easy and of course great money for whoever runs it. But take a look at whether it really takes you any further in the field or just costs a lot of money to prove that you know what you know. You can always take the course while you are working somewhere if you still want to.

None of the professional PT ops that I have worked with are certified - but that doesn't mean they don't get the job done. It just means they spent more time doing it than studying it. Just my opinion of course!
other people's music:
www.headphonomenon.com