Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Quicksilver 733 users, unite!

Or just tell me how well PT is working for you under OS X...

Yes, I've read and followed the troubleshooting tips. Yes, I realize that my machine has no L3 cache (Doh!).
Yes, I know that raslin's fake.

I'm curious as to how well PT is working for other users of the 733. Are you constantly getting buffer underrun errors? I am, especially with Rewire/Reason 2.5.
Are you experiencing kernel panics occasionally? Me too...

I'm just wondering if perhaps my machine is a little too slow under OS X to really push it like I do under OS 9/5.2.1, or should I still be looking elsewhere for the solution.

I really want to make the jump (full time) to OS X (so many of you seem to have been able to do it), but stability is a major issue.

I know, I know - broken record...

-cheers
RTX 2080ti
64GB DDR5 5200mhz RAM
2 Samsung 980 Pro 1TB SSDs
Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD
LG 34" Ultra-Widescreen monitor
Pro Tools 12.4
A loaf of bread
A stick of butter
A lot of rye whiskey
Old 12-25-2003, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Quicksilver 733 users, unite!

I’m on a 733, X10.2.6 ,640MB Ram , 2 Sony 24” Monitors (one monitor on stock video card the other on some ATI $100 to $150 video card), multiple 120GB firewire drives /w HD3 + 3 192s running PT6.1.

This system started as OS9, PT v5.3, went to OSX about a year ago and I can’t remember the last time I booted into OS9.

Anyway I’m a little cloudy on the L3 issue so I checked our machine’s Apple System Profiler and only found an L2 cache size of 256K, no L3.

PT6.1 with Reason 2.5 over Rewire works perfect, I recall working on a pseudo orchestral session that I had over 24 stereo NN-XTs loaded up with CDXtracted Miroslav Vitous Library Strings, Brass, Percussion etc… nothing on “tape” all on MIDI. So, I personally haven’t come across any crashes or any kind of diminished performance issues with this set up.

I should qualify all this by saying that OSX isn’t as responsive as OS9 in general for this machine .

On the flip side PT v6.1 with Reason 2.5 via Rewire is way more stable and much snappier then OS9 PT5.3.1 Reason 1.0 via ReFuse and OMS.

I CAN’T SAY ANY OF THIS about SampleTank and Garritan Personal Orchestra via Kontakt Player. They both claim as minimum set up requirements PT 6.x with a 733 CPU but, that’s complete BS!!!!

Yeah U can load up a good percentage of the Libraries included but try to do a fast/complex passage with a Piano/Harp/Guitar/Timpani instrumentwith the sustain pedal depressed and what U get is… the machine chokes and Locks UP!!! Then, PT won’t quit but, you can close the session (Thank God) and then force quit from PT.

In all fairness I have to mention that SampleTank and the Garittan Personal Orchestra via Kontakt Player sound very good. I say this because we have at least two of every Sampler ever made (AKAI S1/3/5/6K, Roland, EMU E4XTs, Ensoniq.. you name it we got it), on that note take any AKAI, Roland, or EMU Library CDXtract it to NN-XT and compare you’ll be very surprised, I know I was.

Finally, as Phase III of the G5 / OSX 10.3.2 gets completed by Digidesign we’ll be looking into a dual G5 2GHz. While we’re waiting, due to all the frustration lately we went ahead and invested on two custom made PCs for 2 Tascam/Nemesis Gigastudios, in a few weeks and after several sessions I should have a pretty could idea of what they’re capable of and I’ll post my opinions.

It’s a bumpy ride, and I wish Software/Hardware manufacturers/vendors would be more pragmatic on how convoluted this all has become. Everybody passes the buck to the next one leaving the consumer unsupported

Sorry for the long post, good luck
M