Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2003, 08:14 AM

Default DigiBase and Soundminer Ripper

We just got SM Ripper to create an FX Soundfile database for our ProTools rigs. We are presently 5.1.1 but are going to 6.1 so we can use DigiBase. The guy at Soundminer was really dissing DB (of course he was trying to sell the Soundminer search software). Any advice from all of you before I set this up. Anything to look out for? How is DB working for searching & spotting FX. I'm going to set it up 16|44 stereo interleave BWAV files. I figure CDs are 16|44 and people should be copying SFX into thier sessions not refrencing the database which will be on shared drives (we have a 3 station fiber network).
Old 10-31-2003, 05:10 PM

Default Re: DigiBase and Soundminer Ripper

Disclaimer: I do not work for Soundminer.

That being said, Digibase is painfully slow, Ive been using Soundminer with a database exceeding 100,000 files, a search only takes 2 to 3 seconds, and transfer is 10 seconds for a 4 minute stereo file from a bank of firewire drives. It was well worth the $1,000.

Old 11-11-2003, 08:47 AM

Craig, just read your post. I have been using Soundminer for almost a year now and I would really recomend it to any post user. The sheer speed and ease of use is a god send in this business. I would suggest you use split bwav files though (speed) and yes to always copying to a local drive. Keeps things neat!!

Nick
Mac M1 Studio Ultra 64GB RAM OSX 13.6, PT Ultimate 2023.12 HDn, MTRX Studio, 2x Avid S1, PT Dock...
Old 11-11-2003, 10:10 AM

How Soundminer compares to mTools? Anybody used both? I've been using mTools now two years.
Old 11-11-2003, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Disclaimer: I do not work for Soundminer.
Neither do I. DIAFXMX probably copied his response from another thread we chimed in on before. Soundminer is amazing. The way it has transformed our post work is incredible. I compare the way we work with sound effects now to what we did a year ago, and it's like "Man, we used to do it like THAT?"

Of course the person you spoke to wants you to buy Soundminer, but its much more versatile. Enough said.