Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2003, 03:37 AM

Default Is there still incompatibility with SIS chipsets?

I was thinking of buying digi-001 to run on XP
But I have seen that there are compatibility problems with SIS chipset motherboards... which I currently have in my P.C. Does any one know if this means that It won't work.... or if it just hasn't been tried yet?..... has this compatibility been sorted yet...?? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Cheers muchly

Tom
Old 01-21-2003, 05:54 AM

Default Re: Is there still incompatibility with SIS chipsets?

Hi Tom,

This is from the Digi001 compatability page.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/maindigi001win.cfm

Known Incompatibilities
Caution - Digi 001 is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets

If you can afford it the Allen machine is a great way to go.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 01-22-2003, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mlemos:
Hi Tom,

This is from the Digi001 compatability page.
http://www.digidesign.com/compato/maindigi001win.cfm

Known Incompatibilities
Caution - Digi 001 is NOT supported on the following systems or systems with the following components:

Computers with motherboards containing SiS (Silicon Integrated Systems) chipsets

If you can afford it the Allen machine is a great way to go.

Good luck,
Marc
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, but what I want to find out is WHY is it not compatible and WHAT are the symptoms! It seems as though there is something significantly wrong with SIS chipsets as virtually no usb audio interfaces seem to work with them...

ARGHHHH

Someone please buy me a new computer without an sis chipset...
Old 01-22-2003, 04:44 AM

Hey buddy,

I had a motherboard with the Ali Magik Sis. I bought a Digi 001, and it installed fine. However, when I went to run Pro Tools, an error came up, and I was never able to get the program to come on. My motherboard at the time had a Via southbridge and an Ali Magik northbridge. Doesn't work at all, doesn't matter what you do.

So replace the motherboard. I know that sucks, but you can sell your old mobo on Ebay to help recoup the cost. BTW, I'm using a Gigabyte GA7VR right now, and pro tools works great so far.
Good luck.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:10 AM

Not supported DOES NOT mean not compatible. It means not supported. There are lots of folks running SiS chipsets without problems. The only difference is, if you crash and you call Digi tech support, they won't necessarily be able to help out. (Is that a big difference? - I'm not so sure.)

I've been running Pro-Tools on a *not-supported* machine (Compaq Presario)for 3 years. I have a few *issues* that crop up every once in a while, but I'm not sure they're any more problematic than the issues I hear about from the folks with the supported machines.
Yosemite OS
Old 03-11-2003, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soundsurfr:
I've been running Pro-Tools on a *not-supported* machine (Compaq Presario)for 3 years.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm interested that you list the Compaq Presario as a "not-supported" machine. Why is that?

Regards,

Doug
Old 03-11-2003, 01:19 PM

Not trying to be antagonistic, but does it really matter why? Digi obviously found enough problems in testing to decide they wouldn't support it, and many attempts I've seen here in the last couple of years support their decision.
Also, I have no hard numbers, but I think "lots of folks" might be an overstatement. I've seen very few reports here of working SiS based systems... some, yes, but nothing compared to the numbers of other chipsets successfully in use.
You'd be much better off in the long run going with a proven setup.
Just my opinion.
Good luck-
Old 03-11-2003, 03:53 PM

This is neither an endorsement nor a recommendation. Just letting you know that this works:

ECS P4S5A Motherboard with SIS 645DX chipset.
P4 w/ 256M 133Mhz SDRAM.

If you know what the 'DaveC test' is, I'm getting 19 tracks with no AUX's.

Prior to that I had a Celeron 533 with Via Chipset. Talk about breaking the rules! Not very powerful, but that's what I had at the time I got the Digi001.

Bottom line is you're not gonna know for sure until you try. But, if you want to be sure, go with Digi and the DUC's recommendations.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:59 PM

Sorry- I'm using Windows XP.

The most important thing is to get the DIGI001.

It truly rocks!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:54 PM

I tried running PTLE (on an AMIII) on a SIS equiped MOBO (735 I think...) Anyway..the app would never fully start. Ended up with a dialog "Unable to build DAE deck". Switched to a gigabyte board (GA-7ZXE) with a KT-133A chipset.
Super solid now and fast (Athlon XP1800+)

As far as Presarios go..I ran the same app/soundcard combo on a 677 Celeron Presario for about a year and a half. While you couldn't manage a ton of tracks or plugs, it was very dependable for low track count (10 to 15) broadcast production!