Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2007, 08:52 AM

Default 7.2 not reading pan automation

I have had problems with Pro Tools 7.2 not reading pan automation lately. For example, I have track output going to LCR bus going to 5.1 output. Sometimes when region is panned to hard left (for example), it stays going to the center channel no matter what (pan automation was to center before the beginning of the region). If I click the panner (which looks panned left, but sound going to center) in the edit window during the playback of the region, sounds jumps abruptly to left channel. This behavior is not continuous or always repeatable, most of the time pan automation works normally. Then suddenly it doesn't work at all, without any changes done in preferences or elsewhere. I haven't suspended automation playback on any track. Any ideas? I have done all the normal trashing and restarting.

I'm using Pro Tools 7.2 cs2 / HD2 + 1 Accel / PowerMac / MacOS 10.4.8, sound coming out of ADAT outs of 96 i/o. The plug-ins should be up-to-date.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:04 AM

Default Re: 7.2 not reading pan automation

sounds like something crossed up in your I/O Setup.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Not sure about that because it works most of time ok with my i/o setup. But I will double check it tomorrow, thanks.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:55 AM

Jim, I think you were right. My 5.1 output was using SMPTE order, which I prefer, but my 5.1 bus before the output was accidentally using film order. Funny thing is that it still worked normally most of the time, go and figure. Thanks again!
Old 04-10-2007, 10:08 PM

This is a known bug. Do a search for this on this DUC, and you'll see it covered plenty of time. There are some work-around fixes as well indicated in these links

it -seems- to be a bit more fixed in cs2.
-cd
Old 04-11-2007, 02:53 AM

After correcting my 5.1 bus orders, I unfortunately noticed that the behavior is still there. Charles, I did a search before posting, but didn't find anything about this bug. Only some complaints that pan automation is late etc. Could you (or somebody) give me some link to thread(s) about his bug, I am very interested in finding workarounds? Also, does anybody know if this pan bug is still in 7.3? If not, that alone would be a sufficient reason for me to upgrade.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:30 AM

OK, here is one workaround told me by colleague: hit suspend automation button twice. It seems to help, for a some time at least. But this is really something that Digidesign should fix soon! I heard it's happening on 7.3.1, too. But maybe only in 5.1 sessions?