Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2006, 01:21 PM

Default Sony Oxford Plug-Ins

I like the EQ, Reverb and Limiter. Does anyone have any experience with the others, The Inflator, TransMod, Dynamics plugs?

My dealer seems to be unable to track down the upgrade path to a bundle for EQ owners.

Mark
Old 01-03-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Sony Oxford Plug-Ins

i have experience with all their plugs except their reverb.

i have two words regarding them and your situation : GET THEM!

AFAIK, there is NO upgrade path from EQ to the Dynamics bundle. they are separate deals.

need more info??
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-03-2006, 02:04 PM

Quote:
i have experience with all their plugs except their reverb.

i have two words regarding them and your situation : GET THEM!

AFAIK, there is NO upgrade path from EQ to the Dynamics bundle. they are separate deals.

need more info??
On the www.sonyplugins.com web site, there is an upgrade to the 6 pack bundle, with a discount for EQ owners, but my dealer can't find that in his info, and the Sony rep is unreachable.

So tell me how you like TransMod, Inflator, and Dynamics and how you find them useful.

By the way, I love the Oxford Reverb demo. Much more clarity than Revibe, as far as presets go.

Mark
Old 01-03-2006, 02:09 PM

You have all the bundle options here:
http://www.sonyplugins.com/

You can buy a download online and get the license to your iLok for instant use - works very well (just a bit more expensive I guess)

IMO either you like the way they are thinking or not AND since you seem to like the EQ that much I can't see any reason why not to get them. I have Dynamics and Inflator and all I can say is that I use them very seldom and people I know who are into Sony-plugins, REALLY uses them a lot.
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 01-03-2006, 02:25 PM

It's a shame that Sony don't have any upgrade path from S-OX Box to Oxford 6Pack. Only EQ owners have an upgrade path to 6Pack.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Quote:
So tell me how you like TransMod, Inflator, and Dynamics and how you find them useful.
mark. about the upgrade. ah...last time i looked (when i bought) it wasn't there. so , wait for SONY to get back to your rep.

i just finished mixing a record where i used those plugs all over the place.

transmod, well, i have only really used it once and played with it. cool for drums. i needed a WHACKED OUT! snare sound, and i got one moving those transients all over the place. worked cool gun shots too.

INFLATOR. different than WARMTH (in the dyn suite) and ENHANCE in the LIMITER. so, you will have 3 different ways to add body and sound. i use it to add girth but a different kind of girth from the PHOENIX plugs, though what they do is related. i have used it on a car racing TV program to make the car sounds (recorded with the CAMERA MIC! ) sound BIGGER. i used it when i recorded 2 cellos and one of them sounded distinctly "cheaper" than the other. it WAS! by $30K! helped a lot! you can use inflator in front of the LIMITER. it does nothing to the transients, but fattens the signal.

DYNAMICS. very very good. precise. but you have to learn how to use them. READ THE MANUAL!!! if for no other reason than to learn something. the various modes affect the sound. i first thought the compressor was too HARD. then i read the manual THERE'S ALL KINDS OF INTERESTING STUFF IN THOSE MANUALS! mostly, it is my go to cmp unless it is for drums, guitar or bass.

the warmth adds a TUBE-LIKE quality which i have found a useful enhancement at times.

the expander and gate are very good and very dial-in-able. i don't use that limiter as the SONY LIMITER is so fantastic!
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 01-03-2006, 06:21 PM

Have them, Great plugins. If you want to hear them in action visit

www.brownstonerecordingstudio.com

Check out Skip Skat

Warren
Old 01-03-2006, 09:38 PM

I don't want to change the subject but I wanted to compare the "Sony Oxford" reverb to the "TL Space", but it looks like Trillium Lane Labs doesn't give any demos. Digidesign has a two day rental for $75, but thats a rip off just for wanted to test it. Does anyone know of a TL Space evaluation version anyware? Otherwise has anyone compared the two espically for vocals? I get the feeling that TL Space is more for replicating enviroments. Thanks
Old 01-03-2006, 10:30 PM

I use them like my lungs.........They're just like Momma.....always there for you doing the right thing! (i just wish the eq's/dynamics had a phase switch)