Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2004, 07:34 AM

Default iLok.com locks your authorizations?

Before synchronizing my iLok first time on iLok.com I was able to move authorizations from my iLok back to the original license card. Now the method doesn't work anymore. On OS9 my Mac says that "the license card is full" (it's not), and on OSX its says that "the authorization is locked". Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

In practice this means that if you decide to sell your plug-in, you are forced to use iLok.com for transferring the license.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 AM

Default Re: iLok.com locks your authorizations?

Just buy another ilok to move your auths -they are not locked (Only Waves cannot be moved to another ilok). I do this all the time with our rental systems.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:51 PM

How do you transfer authorizations from one iLok to another (without using iLok.com)? My point is that synchronizing on iLok.com seems to lock the authorizations on iLok so that they can't be transferred back to the lisence card anymore.

So you if you decide to sell on of your plugs you can't just give the license card to the new owner, but you have to do it via iLok.com and pay them $25.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:21 PM

Hey man, If you have something against free market capitalism, then you should move to China, or Cuba. Everyone in this country has the right to extort anyone else for as much money as they can before the FEDS start stomping on them for anti-trust violoations. That's what makes this country work: the ability to make un-godly amounts of money by whatever means you can devise.

I love giving iLok all of my spare money. I figure that they will keep track of it better than I will anyway. If you don't like it, you can go use one of those OTHER audio programs (which BTW are probably written by comunists, and are hence un-American) where you only pay for the software and the right to use it once.

So, I think we should all take a deep breath, and give iLok a big pat on the back for devising the perfect way to make money: charge for the right to use something that you bought from someone else, charge for the right to keep using that thing, charge for the right to sell it to someone else, charge them for the right to keep using it, charge for any tech support that you may need to keep that thing running, charge for the right to call someone and talk about how unusuable their website is, charge for the right to make a complaint against them, next I'm sure they will start charging anyone who doesn't use their service because they are losing money to other companies that don't use them. iLok is a shining example of what every American should strive to be and should be applauded for perpetuating our American way.

iLok, I LOVE YOU!!!

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 11-13-2004, 10:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I love giving iLok all of my spare money.
I would be willing to wager $100 that you have never given iLok.com a dime.

As Roberts said in the very first answer on this thread, you can transfer unlimited licenses from one iLok to another as long as they are both on your account. If you want to sell licenses, you just move them to a new iLok and sell the iLok. As I understand it, you have a week's grace period after you register a new iLok to remove it from your account. You could move 100 licenses from the old iLok to the new one and not pay a penny except for the price of the blank iLok.
Old 11-14-2004, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Justice C. Bigler
aspiring audio engineer
MBox and PTLE 6.4
Asus A7V880, Athlon XP 2000+ 1Gb PC2100 DDR
WD 80 GB HD, WD 100GB SE HD.
1. go hang out with your own kind -- this is the TDM Mac forum. We're not interested in hearing rants from people who don't use TDM Mac. There is a section of the DUC for people who use PTLE.
2. while you are an "aspiring engineer", you may learn something by shutting the F up, and listening a bit more. Maybe you'll learn something. Try asking questions instead of spewing your so-called knowledge that you are aspiring to acquire.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:16 AM

Yowza! Just because you own a TDM rig doesn't give you the right (or class) to be so rude to another human being. I actually enjoyed reading Justice's OBVIOUSLY tounge-in-cheek rant. You should get out of your "superior" studio from time to time and relearn how to respect other people.
Cheers,
Jamey

Quote:
Quote:
Justice C. Bigler
aspiring audio engineer
MBox and PTLE 6.4
1. go hang out with your own kind -- this is the TDM Mac forum. We're not interested in hearing rants from people who don't use TDM Mac. There is a section of the DUC for people who use PTLE.
2. while you are an "aspiring engineer", you may learn something by shutting the F up, and listening a bit more. Maybe you'll learn something. Try asking questions instead of spewing your so-called knowledge that you are aspiring to acquire.
IMDB
Old 11-14-2004, 11:42 AM

Hi Jamey,

I'm simply fed up with the RANTING and all the "me-too" pile-on that seems to be fashionable on the anti-ilok threads.

JC's post was my last straw.

JC posts that he is "aspiring" and that he uses windows and PTLE. This is the TDM forum. Most of us do this for a living. We don't need wasted bandwidth (and I mean the noise that the company has to deal with) on this issue. It is clear that iLok is an issue that pisses some people off.

Since I've already gone there, in the spirit of being politically incorrect, can it be that the anti-iLok crowd also are the same guys using mix hardware and version 5.x on OS9 so that they can continue using their [k] plugins?

Maybe we should ask the people posting to qualify their opinion:

1. do you own/use an iLok?
2. do you have any [k] software on your computer?

if answer 2 is yes, then you have no right to make any comments about iLok. you're a thief.
if answer 1 is no, then you have no right to make any comments, since you have no practical experience with it.

The plugin developers and Digidesign have worked hard to bring us a solution. OK, it my not be flawless, but it's darn good. The emotion that this issue has brought forth sounds like people really pissed off -- typically, if it costs people $$$ that can draw this kind of rage. So my guess is the ranters have been stealing software, and this iLok thingie is costing them $$ or keeping them from upgrading...

That's something to rant about, right?
Old 11-14-2004, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Yowza! Just because you own a TDM rig doesn't give you the right (or class) to be so rude to another human being. I actually enjoyed reading Justice's OBVIOUSLY tounge-in-cheek rant. You should get out of your "superior" studio from time to time and relearn how to respect other people.
Cheers,
Jamey

Quote:
Quote:
Justice C. Bigler
aspiring audio engineer
MBox and PTLE 6.4

Man, I have to second that. Justice's post was funniner than hell. Bashing him so rudely was uncalled for and unacceptable behavior for such a "superior" person.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:07 PM

Quote:

1. do you own/use an iLok?
2. do you have any [k] software on your computer?

1. Yes, I do own an iLok
2. is the [k] supposed to mean cracked? As in cracked software? No. I paid for or otherwise legitmately aquired all of the software on my system. This includes Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Office 2003 Professional, Star Office 7, Protools, the several games that I enjoy and Linux and several other GPL utilities. Hell, I don't even copy my CD's that I paid for to my computer so I don't have to keep switching them out when I want to listen to them. I never used Napster, and I don't own an Ipod or listen to mp3's.

Yeah, I would like to have and use Waves Gold, but until I have the $1000 to buy it legally, I'll make do with my Mbox Factory Bundle.

Oh Yeah, the MBox and Windows PC is my home system. When I'm in class or doing a session at school. I use a Mac HD3 system.

And BTW, the original poster asked about moving authorizations OFF of an iLok, NOT from one to another. He wanted to take some authorizations from his iLok to the original liscence card that came with his plugins. What he's saying is once you sync your auths to iLok, it takes control of them for the rest of eternity.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One