Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2003, 01:28 AM

Default What should I do?

Ok what is the best mixer out there to use with the 001 to get 6 more mic pre's. With the mixer having 6 outs so i can hook it into the 001. I want to use it to record drums. Because what I'm doing now is just using an XLR to 1/4 cable, and have that hooked in the back of the 001. Im not sure if I like the way the drums sound or not. Maybe I just feel I could make them sound better if they were going through a pre instead. If you would like to listen to some recordings go to www.garageband.com/artist/lostonme I see all of these mixers that have 6 pre's but i can't tell if they have 6 outs on them, they dont say. and i cant stand it when they won't show a back view of it where you can see all the outs or whatnot, they stick you with a fancy angle view. Anyway please listen if you get the chance. Im not sure if Im doing the right thing or if Id be better off on getting a mixer with pre's. Thanks fellow DUCer's! -Eric
Old 04-06-2003, 03:32 AM

Default Re: What should I do?

The thing you are looking for in a mixer is
"direct out". This means you can take the output of the channel-strip and route it elsewhere (into your digi001). Depending on the brand and type you will be able to use the eq on the mixer, or the fader, or both, or none. Another way to get the audio out of the mixer is using the effect inserts. You'll need a Y-cable for that (TRS to 2 mono-jacks).

Another way to do this is getting a mixer with 8 subgroups. This way you can also mix some tracks together before hitting the digi001. The downfall is that the audio will pass more electronics in the mixer with possible slight degredation...

Bastiaan
Old 04-08-2003, 10:30 PM

Check the music stores and pawn shops for old Mackies-Cheaper than new, good pre's, fairly readily available, and when you're ready to upgrade, still worth something [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
They'll do what you want, and Mackie has it's manuals in PDF on the web for all it's models.
Good luck!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:06 PM

The Mackie 1604 has all the qualities mentioned above and will give you room to grow into...

Midas makes nice mixers- and Soundcraft does, too.
Old 04-08-2003, 11:22 PM

Eric,
I am going to buy one of those 8 channel mic pres with ADAT out. Presonus is one, and I believe there are others.
As for the other 6 analog inputs, I will either buy or build myself some higher end individual mic pres. Some tube, some without.
I can't see myself needing any more than that in my studios future.
That's my plan. Take from it what you will.
Mitch
Old 04-09-2003, 12:37 AM

Spend the rent, get a Focusrite Octapre. IMHO the best way to get 8 channels of mic pre AND killer converters (allowing you to bypass the crap 001 converters)

Hope this is helpful.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:03 PM

Hey Thanks for the info guys. My dream would be to get a presonus digimax lt or a focusrite penta. But I just don't have the money. I want one SOOOO bad. I mean 001 is sitting in a 2 space rack. One of those would complete it, it would be so cool. I look at it everyday and imagine one of those in there, but i just dont have the money. thats why i asked about the mixer. Maybe being able to save me a few hundred bucks. Take Care! P.s. I think it would be cool if i could build my own pre's.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:05 PM

whoops i said focusrite penta, i meant octopre. Although penta would probably be awesome for my guitar