Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2003, 01:37 PM

Default Clamp-on sound hole pickup--MagMic

I've been recording my Ovation Legend with a AKG C3000 while I have the magnetic pickup clamped in the soundhole (not connected). I keep getting a "cardboard" type sound. Could it be the blockage or other interference caused by the pickup?

Thanks.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Clamp-on sound hole pickup--MagMic

I don't know, maybe one of the kind professionals on the DUC will know.
Old 03-27-2003, 03:22 PM
rogga_bogga

A pickup clamped to the soundhole does dampen the vibrations of the guitar a bit, but to the extent of making your guitar sound like a cardboard box is unlikely. Have you tried removing it and recording without it?
Old 03-27-2003, 03:59 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'm pulling it out. I'll let you know if I hear any difference.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 07:07 PM

Well I pulled the pickup and corresponding guts out. It sound brighter and fuller just playing it without recording, but it didn't solve the lack of quality in recording. I built a tent out of blankets and quilts and got better results, but there is still a harsh boominess unless I play real softly which isn't my style. Using the article recommended by Aussie, I tried several spacings and dual mikings using the AKG and a CAD 100E. The boomy stuff is of course on the bridge mic. Had the best luck with the AKG at the 12th fret and the CAD over my right shoulder pointing down at the bridge (about a foot away). Well, I made progress anyway.

Thanks
Old 03-27-2003, 08:29 PM

Having played literally thousands of Ovations, I have to say that they are excellent stage guitars, and very durable instruments. But when it comes to recording or straight up recording work, 99% of them will SUCK. The bowl shape is designed to project very far in front of a player, further than you will usually place mics for recording. The speciallized bracing makes for a strange soundboard projection pattern. moving the mic very little around the bridge can have huge impacts!
In other words, keep your Ovation for gigs and practice, but beg/borrow/buy another guitar for recording. the right tool for the right job... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 03-27-2003, 09:35 PM

Well, this is bad news. I've had 6 Ovations and figured they were a big part of "what made life shine." Of course I'm new to recording. I'll try something else if there's chance that I can make that good sound. What is a great acoustic for recording? While we're on the topic, how about strings? The best sound I get unamplified/unrecorded is Martin phosphor/ bronze. What works good for recording?

Thanks for the input. I really do appreciate it.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by iplaymusicsoftly:
Having played literally thousands of Ovations, I have to say that they are excellent stage guitars, and very durable instruments. But when it comes to recording or straight up recording work, 99% of them will SUCK.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been playing Ovations since '74, and an endorser since '81. Even with 29 years under my belt I can't say I've played thousands..
But I have used them with great success on hundreds of sessions so I obviously disagree with your opinion of their value in the studio.
To each his own.
Granted, it's not ever going to sound like a miked Taylor, but it's another tool in the box and often the right one.
You're right that their characteristics are different.

As to the original question. Keep experimenting and trust your ears. Don't overlook recording with both mics and direct signal, also.
Good luck-
Old 03-27-2003, 10:06 PM

Thanks for the input, JMS. "Trust your ears" has got to be good advice. Since the last post I replace the CAD with a Peavey 22 and got a better sound (going heavy on the AKG and light on the Peavey). I have hope.
Old 03-28-2003, 06:06 PM

JMS 40,
So, how has it been set up when you go in to record? any fav. Mics? Do you do a lot of straight from the onboard pre into the mixboard stuff? Maybe there is some element I'm simply missing.
And please let me clarify, I did not mean to say that Ovations suck overall, I meant to say that in a recording application I would find them more difficult than, say, a Martin or Guild (which have their own idiosyncracies). If I was stage touring the only acoustic I'd consider would be an Ovation. [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]