Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: OT? Guitar Advice..

Hey this is another thread where the person posts once and then everybody rages on without a single reply from the poster. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Seems to happen a lot. The guy is dead from old age and we're still going on... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
I wouldn't doubt that the above comment about Gibson Epi's for guitars may be true, but just had to say (for reality's sake) that their EB-5 basses are nothing short of very good for a passive pickup system (especially for the money) and better than either of my Gibson EB-O or EB-3's.

I think the different views expressed above, "get a mexican fender" then "don't get a mexican fender" illustrate perfectly what I'd said earlier: You have to play the specific example of the brand and model you're considering before you can be sure it's going to play OK and sound good.

It is possible to get a great axe for little money and it's possible to get a P.O.S. for a couple thousand dollars.
Old 03-19-2003, 03:44 PM

Avoid the conjecture.
Make your own!!!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-19-2003, 06:13 PM

Check out the carvin kit strat.My uncle built this for like 350.00+70.00 for a hardshell case.
Its one of the best strats I have ever played!
There is no soldering required only sanding of the body and finishing.The neck is ebony and it came with a sweet wilkinson tremolo.
The single coils are super!
Everything you would want in a strat tone.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:35 PM

Stone Knife is right on about the individuality of guitars. In my job as QC for a guitar importer, I had to play EVERY SINGLE GUITAR of a particular model, and even guitars that came from the same box/shipment/factory etc. Could vary HUGELY in sound and playability. And I have been in music stores and played 2 identical looking guitars and one was great for playing, the other great for firewood.
Trust your ears (and protect them)!
Old 03-19-2003, 09:54 PM

I've found that the new line of Samicks designed by Greg Bennett are a tremendous value. I was at a shop in Nashville and picked up the Samick PRS copy - I truly thought it was a PRS until I took a closer look at the headstock. Unlike many entry level instruments the Bennett guitars have quality components including name brand pickups and tuners. Very impressive.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GORILLA:
Huh....retroject? You say ALL Gibsons don't stay in tune? You say ALL Line 6 stuff is quote..."crap"?
PRS's quote"lack their own character"?
I've seen country bands with Marshalls. I even seen a Mariachi band play through Marshall stacks!
Peavey...I suppose you also mean the 5150 heads is...quote "high school garage rock band" caliber?

wow [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] oh well, everyone has an opinion. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Let me pull out some key words from my post that you seemed to have missed...

" generalization "
" personal opinions will vary "
" In the end, my entire post doesn't matter, but it was fun to write. "

I don't care if you've seen a polka band playing 7-string Ibanez guitars through a Crate with a Boss MetalZone pedal...that won't change my opinion. As you have yours. And any of this matters why? [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It's all just wires, plastic, and metal.
Old 03-20-2003, 05:53 AM

He hehehehe ...I did see a polka band playing 7-strings through a Crate with metal zone pedals!!!!You were at that show TOO! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
...Like I said everyone has their opinions, don't break a finger nail over it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I agree with ya on that you really cant get a good guitar for under $400.00, maybe a used one though! I just got a ESP Kirk Hammet LTD Les paul body, neck thru with the roach inlays....EMG 81's and a Floyd on it, in mint condition, with the case......$150.00! Not bad, huh....
I bought my American made Jackson strat body in mint condition, with shark inlays, a floyd and a EMG in it for $100.00!!!
Good luck Radium....Where are you in your search for an electric???????
Old 03-20-2003, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by iplaymusicsoftly:

3 Floyd rose style tailpeices should also be avoided on any instrument below $1000.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">[img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] IMHO Floyd Rose ANYTHING should be avoided. Especially the tremelo bars. If you are a newby to electric guitars, then you will be buying yourself a nightmare if you purchase a guitar with a Floyd Rose tremelo. Heck if you are an EXPERIENCED guitarist, then you will be tempted to make toothpicks out of your guitar if you have a Floyd Rose tremelo bar. trust me, those things are a real PITA.
Old 03-20-2003, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by silence_of_stone:
Heck if you are an EXPERIENCED guitarist, then you will be tempted to make toothpicks out of your guitar if you have a Floyd Rose tremelo bar. trust me, those things are a real PITA.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">true and not true. When you get the guitar, take it to an experienced guitar tech and have it tuned up right, and leveled off.
Once you do that, just change the strings correctly, and it should stay level for a while. If so, then you have a guitar that will stay in tune very nicely.
I agree, if and when you do have to adjust the floyd and get it back to level, it can be frustrating.

Tim
Old 03-20-2003, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GORILLA:
...Like I said everyone has their opinions, don't break a finger nail over it [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't. I've filed them off to nothing, they get in the way (don't know how those girls in Vixen managed). [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]