Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2003, 01:13 PM

Default OT? Guitar Advice..

Hey, this isn't directly related, I don't know if I can post this here, but this is the only board I'm on for music. And I know I can trust you guys.

I'm an acoostic guitar player, but I'm looking to move to an electric. I don't know anything about them, and everywhere I look, it's sales info telling me whatever guitar I'm looking at is the greatest ever. Can someone recommend a guitar that's good for all around rock? I do alternative rock, I'm thinking anything from Counting Crows to grunge. and versatility is important to me as well.

Can you help? I have about $400 to spend, but if a real guitar will cost more, I can always wait and save.
Oh, and what about amps too?

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Again, if this is too OT, and someone wants to pull it, can you at least recommend a reliable site where I can get this kind of info on guitars? Thanks!
-Olaf
Old 03-18-2003, 01:16 PM

Default Re: OT? Guitar Advice..

www.harmonycentral.com then go to discussion forum, they should have a board just for gear.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:17 PM

It's all about the Fender Telecaster my friend.

INHO it's the best "all around" guitar ever made.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030318131529015252000075392264/search/g=home/detail/base_id/ 34421

Starting at $349.

BigRedButton / Jackson Jackson
www.jacksonbjackson.com
Old 03-18-2003, 01:23 PM

I recently got a PRS CE24 and it sounds great for every kind of music. I've used it on everything from bone-breaking metal songs to jazz and it sounded great.
I know they make a scaled down Carlos Santana model that's in the $600 range but i've never played one. It might be worth looking into though. Mine is well out of the $400 price range.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 03-18-2003, 01:30 PM

I'd go Telecaster, or Strat.Teles are great for whacking really hard ( I've whacked off over a few, I can tell you )coz the bottom E goes BOI-OI-OI-OING really well ( stop me if I get to technical ) and Strats are a bit more subtle.
You're gonna get a few replies on this coz guitars are a deeply personal thing.
But whatever you go for, don't order by mail. Get into a shop and try some out until you find one that's comfortable in the neck and plays like your best accoustic.
I currently have Fender, Gretsch, Yamaha and Jacksons and I bought them all because a) whenever I look at them I just want to pick the things up and play them and b)they feel great when I do.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:47 PM

Hey - I love Fenders & Gibsons. For your price range, or even less, try and find a Danelectro. They may have stopped making them, so you may have to go used. They were around many years ago, and then again more recently. Those are some cool guitars for really cheap. If you find one, plug it in and you'll see what I mean. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2003, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonah:
But whatever you go for, don't order by mail. Get into a shop and try some out until you find one that's comfortable in the neck and plays like your best accoustic.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">that hit the nail on the head.
THE most important thing in a guitar is how much you enjoy playing it. Is it comfortable. Is it heavy. Is the neck to big for your fragile little hands.

That is the only way to buy a new guitar, compare it to cars. You don't ask what's a good all around car, and then buy one without ever getting in it.

one that fits YOU is the perfect guitar. When it comes down to it, you can get so many different sounds out of the same guitar with effects, different amps, etc.. Don't worry quite so much about that.

For instance, when the les paul gothics came out, I thought I found a new love. A friend of mine has had an epiphone for quite some time, and it played well for me. Well when i went to go purchase my new les paul gothy, i sat down and, BAMM, within 3 seconds I said, no friekin way. I don't know what it was, I don't care to know, it just wasn't it. Soo now I can just hope another brand comes out with a gothy guitar like that one.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:57 PM

Speaking as a guitar technician, I have to say that the quality of entry level electrics have gone WAY up in the last few years. Which means a new cheapie will probably be better than an 80's pawn shop prize.(oh, all $ here are $Cdn, cause thats where I live!)
IMO, the best cheapies today are:

1. the re-issue Danelectros. Great sounds for cheap (seen a trade in reissue for $170 once!!), and I've seen em played onstage by some pro players. Quite true to the original Danos. [they also have basses and "the convertible"]http://www.danelectro.com/

2. The PRS Santana SE. A lot more money, but well worth it. a PRS for the masses. http://www.prsguitars.com/showcase/c.../sp_santse.htm

3. OLP guitars. Their copy of an Ernie ball design is one of THE BEST playing and sounding guitars I have EVER played. I am going to buy one to add to my arsenal even thought I don't need it. And they are DIRT CHEAP. (like $269 Cdn new!!!) I urge anyone looking for a backup (or cheap main) guitar to check them out!!! Great playing, great styles, well made...http://www.olpguitars.com/

A few reccomendations:
1 try to get one made of solid wood.
2 Bolt ons are easier to service, maintain and repair then set necks. Neck-thrus should be avoided in this price range.
3 Floyd rose style tailpeices should also be avoided on any instrument below $1000. They are often made of white metal (like dinky cars) and will shatter with use.
4 Pretend you don't see the name on the headstock. Many guitars in this price range are made at the same factory. Samick makes more guitars than any other manufaturer, yet only sells 10% with their name on them. WHere do the rest go? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] (Hint:Epiphone, Squire)
5 If you find a guitar you really like, ignore anyone's advice. The best guitar for you is the one that inspires you to play!!! Kinda like the way Danelectros counter all my recommendations... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Enjoy the hunt!!!
Old 03-18-2003, 07:07 PM

Excellent advice there.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:16 PM

I sure can't add much to that, except to say that if you buy a good American-made Strat(starting at around $600), you will probably be very happy with it. They also make a Mexican-made Strat (around $450-500...same company, Fender), and you'll probably be fine there too. As they've said, I would play whatever you get yourself first.