Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-08-2003, 10:57 PM

Default The Drum Mic Decision

Well folks, its time for me to pick out some drum mics. While I havent used many, I've read every bit of information about most of the mics that made my list. (Which was quite a few!!) The new system I'm building has a really low cost budget, but demands great sound. And so I'm asking for the best of the best drum mics for the lowest of the low prices!! I mean, like major bang for the buck brands.

The common brands for just that is often Rode, Oktava, and Shure. So of course I really looked into those. It all looks good. I've read of numerous sessions using only those mics and basic mic pres and getting fantastic results, assuming theres a bit of EQ and compression.

And so here it goes.

I've done my homework. I actaually ran a search for "Drum Mic" for every forum, made a list of each model of mic for each type of drum piece and tallied up all the results. I really wanted to see what most of you were using out there. And then I found a base price for each mic, and carefully knocked out the mics that were a bit out of my range. So now I have this final list:

Snare Mics
----------
- Shure SM57
- Shure SM57 beta

Kick Mics
----------
- AKG D112
- Shure beta 52A
- Shure beta 91

Overhead Mics
----------
- AKG 451
- Audio-technica 4041
- Shure KSM 27, 32, 44
- Rode NT1-A, NT1, NTK, and NT5
- Oktava MK012

Tom Mics
----------
- Rode NT1000
- Shure SM57
- Shure SM57 beta
- Sennheiser MD421

HH and Ride Mics
----------
- Rode NT5
- Oktava MK012
- Shure SM81

And there it is. I'm really looking for your comments on these. I know you are all bursting to offer other makes and models, but they're all too much for this rig! I'm really needing something that will sound great and not kill my wallet, and for real. There's something about Studio Projects that I don't like. So I don't know about them.

Any comments would be great. If you can offer some less expensive overheads, please do. I don't mind small-diaphragm condensers, as they tend to actually display the sound more accurately. And as for the tom mics, I cant afford 3 or 4 MD421. So what other option do I have there.

Thanks to everyone for any advice you can chip in. This is THE purchase, and I need some help!!

- Thanks, Andy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2003, 11:04 PM

Default Re: The Drum Mic Decision

ok here is what you should get....tested and tried. if you are on a budget these mics will work...

Snare: sm57
Kick : Akg d112 or 52 i like em both
Toms: 421`s
Overheads: most definately the 451`s...u can use em on acoustic gtrs and even pianos as well your hi-hat. If you are buying vintage pnes be sure to get the 10db pads with them. If not, they are built in to the new ones. If these are breaking the bank...look in to the AT4051...very similar.

So no need to kill your wallet. The mics you have listed are basically standards for recording rock/funk drums. For jazzy drums u might want some better mics like a u47 fet for the kick and stuff like that....but what you have listed will work out great for most rock style sessions.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:13 PM

Wow. Thanks for the reply.

As far as the snare, I couldnt get a straight answer on what the major difference in the SM57 to the SM57 beta was. I assume it's slightly more articulated, which is a good thing. (I may be doing some jazz) But I dont know. What's the main difference?

For the kick, what do you find to be the biggest differences between the D112 and the beta 52? (what's the beta 52A anyway?)

The toms. Ouch. 4 of those and I'm already spending too much. I know it will sound great, but $300 each may be too much. What would be right below that? What do you suggest?

For the overheads, the 4051's seem to be slightly more in price than the 451's! Hmm...a pair of those is $1000. Ouch again! Um, help!

I feel that I'm going to need extra support for the HH and Ride, and a pair of basic condensers on those would really help, and I've heard a lot about the Rode NT5's. What are you feelings about it, and them?
Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 PM

Don't skimp on the over heads, you can skimp on everything else. Here's three scenarios... each of which are low budget, but three different low budgets:

Lowest:

Kick - SM57
Snare - SM57 (top only)
Tom's - SM57's
OH's - AT4051 or SM91
HH - Skip it... pick it up in the OH's.

Medium Low:

Kick - D112
Snare - SM57
Tom's - SM57's, Audix "D" Series, or AT Pro 25's
OH's At4051 or SM91
HH - AT4051 or SM91

High Low:

Kick - D112 or RE20
Snare - SM57
Tom's - SM57's, Audix "D" Series, or AT Pro 25's
OH's - C451 or KM84/KM184
HH - AT4051, SM91, KM84/184, C451.
Room - TLM170's.

You can get a FANTASTIC drum sound in a decent room with a great pair of overheads and an OK kick mic and nothing else. Keep that in mind. All of the above kits can get you great drum sound if you know what you are doing.

Good luck!

-Tom
Old 07-08-2003, 11:38 PM

http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Drum_Kit_Mics.html

best mic for the money by far.

I use a Coles 4038 and 2 KM 84's for oh. 57 on the snare and either a Senn421 or an EV RE20 on the kik. I don't like the D112 at all.

those mics up there will get you some great results. Hard to pass up for under $300 for a whole set. listen to the demo they have on the site...

teddybut
Old 07-09-2003, 01:12 AM

fairly high end:

Kick - AT AE2500
Snare - SM57
Toms - Senn 421's
OH - Royer R-121's
Room - Earthworks Omni

Keep in mind that the preamps you use will affect the sound, at times dramatically.

Also, if you cannot get a good sounding drum kit with 4 decent mics, then you need to start over either with your drummer, drums, or room.
Old 07-09-2003, 02:43 AM

Here is a typical set that we use.
Kik
ATM-25 Neve 1272
SM-91 Avalon M5
Beta 52 Neve 1272

Snare
Beta 57 Focusrite Red 7
AKG C414ULS Focusrite Red One
AKG C18 Red One

Hat
AKG C418 Red One
Ride
AKG C414ULS Red One

Toms
Beta 56 Drawmer 1960

Overheads
Rode NT 4 Stereo Focusrite ISA 430 (x2)

Room
Crown SASS-P Stereo Focusrite ISA 428
Old 07-09-2003, 06:28 AM

Quote:
As far as the snare, I couldnt get a straight answer on what the major difference in the SM57 to the SM57 beta was.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I noticed that the 57 vs. the 57-beta is a bit more agressive.
The 57-beta is more gentle with the hmf and hf-frequencies...well, to me that is...
I guess if you want to record Jazz-drums you might be better off with a 57-beta,because those snares don't really have to cut through the mix like rock-drums. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-09-2003, 07:41 AM

I think you are all missing one important thing.

2 mics on the Kick.

Put your D-12 or D112 right up on the kick.

Then put a U47 Fet about 3 feet away.

Bottom for days.
Old 07-09-2003, 08:12 AM

If a KM184 is out of his budget I'd be willing to guess a U47 is too! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyway, my advice:

If you are doing Jazz you only need 4 mics: Kick, Snare and two Over Heads. Most jazz drummers play more balanced and drums are less emphasized in jazz so there is less need to mix each individual drum. With the money you save you can get two great sounding Over Heads. I'd go for the KM184's but if you want to go with the ones on your list, I actually like the Rode NT1.

So my picks:
Kick: SM57 = $80
Snare: SM57 = $80
OH: KM184 (Stereo pair) = $1450
TOTAL = $1610

I’d plan on adding more mics as you can, but I would get them one (or two) at a time and get good quality mics. This method will help you learn the “less is more” technique. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

"I bent my wookie"