Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2003, 09:50 AM

Default OT: Studer A827 Discontinued

Believe it or not it's true. There are less than 60 of these amazing 24 track 2" machines still left in the world and the company has ceased production on any new ones.

They will still support any purchases for the entire life of the product and have tech people and replacement parts on hand.

The company is not going under but they are switching directions a bit to focus primarily on their line of consoles due to the market going away from 2" (a very sad thing indeed).

As a dealer for Studer, AudioLot was asked to assist in the sales of these remaining units at significantly reduced prices. We have agreed to help out so I wanted to let all you hardcore analog gurus out there know about this unfortunate turn of events. If you have been waiting to get something amazing or want to augment your existing setup let us know and we'll be happy to help you out.

Please don't take this post as spam. It was not intended that way at all. We were shocked at this news and want to make sure that if someone wants one of these, they get them before they are all gone.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Re: OT: Studer A827 Discontinued

Hello. Frankly I don't know how it can be a shock to anyone. Depressing, sad, unfortunate, limiting. Not shocking. Anyone who didn't see this coming years ago was looking through rose colored glasses.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:04 AM

Well, of course we all suspected it would happen one day but I for one certainly didn't think it was going to be Studer first. I guess it's just always a bit shocking when you finally receive the news that you hoped in the back of your mind wouldn't ever come to fruition.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:54 PM

I was told the other day that noby is making 2 inch tape anymore. If that's the case, analog machines will be worthless.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:18 PM

Hello. Well I don't know if 'noby' makes it, but Quantegy is still making 2" tape. They have been about the only game in town for a while now I believe.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:21 PM

Doing a search on the web, it appears the decision to halt production was actually made four years ago.

http://mixonline.com/ar/audio_hot_off_shelf_17/

This must just be old stock.

Lee Blaske
Old 06-07-2003, 07:28 PM

This has been reported several times in the past four years. That's how the gold special machines were made. They were supposed to be the "last ones". I guess they mean it now.
drew

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:57 PM

I cannot respond to anything that may or may not have happened in the past. I can just say that Studer called us directly and told us this news a couple weeks ago. We have been working with some studios who were interested in purchasing a couple units but we decided that it was probably best to alert the entire recording community about this and make sure that anyone who wanted one got one before it was too late.

We also decided that it wasn't fair to only offer them privately to major studios. Our business model has always been to help the small to medium studios compete on the same playing field as the major studios (although we do work with major studios all the time) by representing products of the highest calibar and selling them at the lowest possible price point.

Hope that clears things up a bit.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:49 AM

Only a few B52 left, but Boeing doesn't make them any more, but I suppose bomb factory is working on the plugin... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ok just a joke..

I have mixed feelings about this : I started as an assistant lining up 24 track machines every morning and I cannot help feeling sad about the end of such beauties as Studer machines.
But as as 100% Pro tools studio operator all I hope is for a *convincing* tape emulation plugin !
I must say I have little regret for 2 inch splicing sessions, unrecoverable punch-in/out errors, mechanical failures, tape hiss, low frequency wobbling, whatever nostalgia I have for the analog tape sound.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2003, 09:56 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Hi everyone...So, Joshua, how much are they going for? Just curious... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]