Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM

Default WIDEN THE STEREO IMAGE

I feel I've carved good eq holes, sufficient punch with drums, and overall warmth sonic individuality among the tracks. But I feel like I can make the stereo image wider. Any hints or tricks on how to achieve this. (I only have plug-ins, no outboard equip)
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: WIDEN THE STEREO IMAGE

depending on what stage you're looking to add width, the Waves S1 works pretty well. you dont have to over do it, a little goes along away. if you're widening at the mastering stage, you might find some good results by just applying it on a stem without the lead vocals. i use the S1 in moderation all the time.
Old 01-10-2005, 07:50 PM

Cheezgrits... maybe you can answer this question...

Okay, I'm running PT LE 6.4 on a Digi 002r with a Mackie Control Universal. The 002r has 1 midi in 2 midi outs. The Mackie has 1 midi in 1 midi out. Here's the problem... I have a Triton Extreme which I would like to fit into it all but it has 1 midi in 1 midi out 1 midi thru. How can I get it all working? What I'm trying to do is sync em all up because the triton only has 4 line outs and for me to record 16 tracks I would have to do it 4 times, 4 tracks at a time and that would be hard if I didnt have em sync'd. Should I buy a usb midi interface? I mean.. If its not digidesign will it be recognized by pro tools?? I'm stuck dawg. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thank You.
Old 01-10-2005, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Cheezgrits... maybe you can answer this question...

Okay, I'm running PT LE 6.4 on a Digi 002r with a Mackie Control Universal. The 002r has 1 midi in 2 midi outs. The Mackie has 1 midi in 1 midi out. Here's the problem... I have a Triton Extreme which I would like to fit into it all but it has 1 midi in 1 midi out 1 midi thru. How can I get it all working? What I'm trying to do is sync em all up because the triton only has 4 line outs and for me to record 16 tracks I would have to do it 4 times, 4 tracks at a time and that would be hard if I didnt have em sync'd. Should I buy a usb midi interface? I mean.. If its not digidesign will it be recognized by pro tools?? I'm stuck dawg. Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thank You.
has nothing to do with the origional question but get an edirol UM series USB MIDI interface ive never had any problems and they have been tested by digi to work with PT. for the most part the midiman interfaces are fine aswell however there have been a few issues especially when used with controll surfaces so i stick with the edirol to be safe
also you would most likley be best served with a 2 or more port as your equipment will always grow
Old 01-10-2005, 09:19 PM

***this reply is to barznbeats1 ***

well i'm using mbox and i've incorporated a usb hub. I have midi up'd my mpc 2000xl, boss sp-505 and my keyboard to the usb hub and it's flawlessly sync. I do hip-hop and r&b and I have no probs
Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM

Thank you both for the help! I will be ordering an edirol with the 8 in 8 out. I do hip hop and r&b too Cheezgrits which is why I though you might be running a similar setup. Anyhow, I know it had nothing to do with the original thread but again, thank you both. I posted the question in other places and got alot of views but no replies.
Old 01-10-2005, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I feel I've carved good eq holes, sufficient punch with drums, and overall warmth sonic individuality among the tracks. But I feel like I can make the stereo image wider. Any hints or tricks on how to achieve this. (I only have plug-ins, no outboard equip)
good question dude - something i've been thinking about on certain tracks, and thanks double for the response, i dont know if i can bring myself to buy Waves especially after an article i read on the copy protect devices they use being very, very unstable.....i dont feel theres much of an option though
Old 01-11-2005, 02:20 AM

Quote:
some of these have worked for me, your milage may(will) vary...

to spread out something like an acoustic guitar, copy the track twice. Filter out everything except, say 8-10k on one and 10-12k on the other. pan them both hard left and right. and/or, try flipping the phase on one of them.

stereo reverb

stereo delay

phasing tricks of any variety.

there's loads of vst spatial doo-dads. if you dont have the rtas>vst adapter, get it! best 100 bucks you can spend on pt.

good luck.
will