Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM

Default Basic hardware comp set up with 003? quick help?

hi, quick question re digi 003 and integrating hardware compressors.
best way?

1/4" line out from digi 003, xlr input to comp.
then xlr out from comp to xlr mic in on 003
OR to 1/4" line in to 003?

i'm guessing xlr to xlr is best, but once i fill up xlr inputs
5-8 on the 003, i'll need to use the 1/4" line ins, correct?
because xlr in 1-4 have built in pre's which i don't want to
add to my chain post comp?

cheers
Old 06-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Basic hardware comp set up with 003? quick help?

Check the manual on using hardware inserts. Your compressor is like line level on both input and output, so it needs to connect with TRS cables, using a pair of IO that you designate as an insert set. Keep in mind that you will incur some latency that you will need to compensate for manually(set the amount in the IO setup window-last tab). Sound like a lot of hassle? To me, it is, so unless your compressor is a really high-end unit, you will likely get equal or better results with a good plugin.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-07-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Check the manual on using hardware inserts. Your compressor is like line level on both input and output, so it needs to connect with TRS cables, using a pair of IO that you designate as an insert set. Keep in mind that you will incur some latency that you will need to compensate for manually(set the amount in the IO setup window-last tab). Sound like a lot of hassle? To me, it is, so unless your compressor is a really high-end unit, you will likely get equal or better results with a good plugin.
thanks. the manual isn't very detailed on this.
i upgraded to a 003 from mbox so i *could* run hw compression instead
of just plugins.
why wouldn't i run the output of the comp
into 5,6 or 7,8 xlr input on the '003? i figured that xlr to xlr would be better
than xlr to 1/4".
sorry if this all sounds obvious but i am new at setting this stuff up.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:07 PM

The xlr inputs are for mic level only. Line level stuff needs to go in via TRA inputs(but 5 thru 8 should be fine for this). To use hardware inserts, you need to set a few up in the IO setup page>hardware insert tab. Basically, you use a matched set of IO(like output 5 with input 5, output 6 with input 6). The go to the hardware latency compensation page and enter an amount for the compensation(since PT does not allow for "pinging" the path, you need to do this one time for any given hardware). A way you might be able to calculate that amount would be to route audio out to the compressor and return it to a new track and record. Then zoom in and measure the offset between the original track and the new track. I still prefer to use plugins as its just easier(and like I said, unless your compressor is great like an 1176 or LA-2A, plugins will match quality without the hassle). There are plenty of other good reasons to use the 003 over an Mbox(you just haven't discovered them yet)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
The xlr inputs are for mic level only. Line level stuff needs to go in via TRA inputs(but 5 thru 8 should be fine for this). To use hardware inserts, you need to set a few up in the IO setup page>hardware insert tab. Basically, you use a matched set of IO(like output 5 with input 5, output 6 with input 6). The go to the hardware latency compensation page and enter an amount for the compensation(since PT does not allow for "pinging" the path, you need to do this one time for any given hardware). A way you might be able to calculate that amount would be to route audio out to the compressor and return it to a new track and record. Then zoom in and measure the offset between the original track and the new track. I still prefer to use plugins as its just easier(and like I said, unless your compressor is great like an 1176 or LA-2A, plugins will match quality without the hassle). There are plenty of other good reasons to use the 003 over an Mbox(you just haven't discovered them yet)
thanks. i am setting up a 2-1176 or an api 2500 and possibly a mono unit.
basically it's 1/4" lines all the way - that clarifies the hookup for me.
the latency issue will be annoying but can be managed.

appreciate yr help!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:52 AM

tj7...no offense intended, but allow me to be blunt...

Someone who does not know about mic level/line level signals and XLR/TRS/TS connectors is probably not going to know how to use a compressor. That's just the reality of it.

So, what you're buying is a $2K-$3k paperweight.

The posts on this thread are the only ones I ever seen from you; I know absolutely nothing about you or what type of music you do.

But I'd bet $10 (I'm poor) that your working in the Hip Hop/Rap genre.

Why do I think this?

Because right now, compressors are the hot topic in those genres (six months ago it was preamps).

Six months from now another "box" will come down the pike and everybody will be talking about it.

But here's an absolute truth for you...there is no magic bullet "box"; nothing that will fix everything that is wrong with your music.

Great music is made by great people, not by just anybody with a room full of expensive equipment.

Advice? Learn how to really use your dynamics (compression) plug ins. If you do that, you probably won't need an expensive "box".

And please accept my apologies in advance if I have misread you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-08-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
tj7...no offense intended, but allow me to be blunt...

Someone who does not know about mic level/line level signals and XLR/TRS/TS connectors is probably not going to know how to use a compressor. That's just the reality of it.
wow. way to encourage your fellow muso to keep learning.

i really can't be bothered responding in full to this completely unhelpful .. well... [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. but here goes, anyway.

i use my ears. i've been using them for a long time, and it's *about* time i learned how to apply my ITB mixing abilities to some decent hardware to see if i can take my mixing to the next level. i'm well aware that when it comes to setting up hardware, i'm a noob, but i know what sounds good. i can learn how to set [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] up, which cables to use, which hardware will give me what i'm after. i've already learned how to put together a song and mix ITB. i'm tired of using plugin compressors. i'm pushing ahead.

my band can be heard here:
http://www.myspace.com/indianstoheaven

i mixed "a final kiss" (not that the squashed myspace stream will do it much justice).

i don't want to get into a flaming session here but i'll suggest that a little humility will win you more friends here than your useless, presumptuous arrogance.

i didn't post for that crap, i posted for some help - and actually got it. don't know what you hoped to contribute or achieve, really. i guess you'll damply respond with more trite words of discouragement but i just won't reply further to anything that isn't helpful.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj7 View Post
wow. way to encourage your fellow muso to keep learning.

i really can't be bothered responding in full to this completely unhelpful .. well... [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep]. but here goes, anyway.

i use my ears. i've been using them for a long time, and it's *about* time i learned how to apply my ITB mixing abilities to some decent hardware to see if i can take my mixing to the next level. i'm well aware that when it comes to setting up hardware, i'm a noob, but i know what sounds good. i can learn how to set [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep] up, which cables to use, which hardware will give me what i'm after. i've already learned how to put together a song and mix ITB. i'm tired of using plugin compressors. i'm pushing ahead.

my band can be heard here:
http://www.myspace.com/indianstoheaven

i mixed "a final kiss" (not that the squashed myspace stream will do it much justice).

i don't want to get into a flaming session here but i'll suggest that a little humility will win you more friends here than your useless, presumptuous arrogance.

i didn't post for that crap, i posted for some help - and actually got it. don't know what you hoped to contribute or achieve, really. i guess you'll damply respond with more trite words of discouragement but i just won't reply further to anything that isn't helpful.
As I said at the end of my original message:

And please accept my apologies in advance if I have misread you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 06-08-2011, 04:14 PM

I will add that I like to keep a hardware routing ready in case I do get the urge. The problem with plugin compressors is that they don't have "actual" character, they are wonderful "emulations" of character. They are a programmer's algorithm for reacting to x with y and this one will do more z when fed with w. I love them. But sometimes I feel like I'm just adding smoosh when I might have something over there that will just do what I want. And for me it doesn't have to be high end to make me glad I can rout to it. I personally don't think the higher end the hardware outboard the more worthwhile it is to insert it. And I haven't yet heard a great Compex emulation anyway : )