Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2021, 06:31 AM

Default Audio track distorted when imported in Pro Tools First

Hi there,

Please could someone list the main reasons for an audio track sounding distorted immediately after importing in Pro Tools | First?

The context is I would like to import audio which has been exported from Sibelius Ultimate.
I have seen a few answers on other threads about panning and sample rates.
-I didn't alter the panning settings in Sibelius - they have remained automatic. When importing the audio file, Pro Tools First automatically creates a stereo track.
-I have tried mp3 and wav + a variety of different bit depths and sample rates). I've not been able to view my Pro Tools First session's sample rate, but I'm led to believe it is automatically set at 44.1kHz.

None of the audio tracks that I've exported from Sibelius sound distorted in media players. After importing in Pro Tools First, they sound really strange, perhaps digitally distorted.

Any help or ideas gratefully received,
K O'B
p.s. I'm very beginner with DAWs!
HP 255 G7 laptop (Ryzen 5), Windows 10 Pro
Old 07-01-2021, 10:14 AM

Default Re: Audio track distorted when imported in Pro Tools First

Sample rates would be my best guess. Make sure that your session and the file you are importing are the same.

If that's not it, then make sure the level of the file you are importing isn't too hot and that what you are hearing is digital clipping.

System Details
Old 07-01-2021, 10:22 AM

What happens if you import another audio file that didn’t come from Sibelius? Is that distorted too?

Is the audio sounding distorted but visually looking normal?

Trying to ascertain if it’s an issue with how PT is interacting with your interface as you say other media players are playing the audio back fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2021, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Sample rates would be my best guess. Make sure that your session and the file you are importing are the same.

If that's not it, then make sure the level of the file you are importing isn't too hot and that what you are hearing is digital clipping.
Thank you for your help Will.
It seems the Windows Audio Device samples at 48kHz, and I have tried importing audio files at this same rate - unfortunately that didn't work.
I'm currently trying to get my Asio4All working as an alternative playback engine, but haven't been able to get any sound out of it yet, perhaps because I can't access any settings for it in Pro Tools First (am not able to open the Hardware in Setup menu).

I don't think any of the files are being clipped, judging by how small the sound waves appear.
Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
What happens if you import another audio file that didn’t come from Sibelius? Is that distorted too?

Is the audio sounding distorted but visually looking normal?

Trying to ascertain if it’s an issue with how PT is interacting with your interface as you say other media players are playing the audio back fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for these ideas Sardi.
Just checked and other audio files (not exported from Sibelius) are also distorted.
The soundwaves look very small, not the kinds of amplitudes you'd expect from a distorted sound.
I have such a limited understanding of DAWs (in spite of trying to use them for a good 15 years or so now), so I'm not quite sure how to go about your third suggestion!
Thank you for taking the time to help me.
Old 07-02-2021, 06:52 AM

PTF is pretty limited when it comes to using the internal sound device on your computer.

You can have a look at this Sweetwater article on How to Set Up ASIO4ALL. It may help you get things configured properly.

Also remember that after you install ASIO4ALL, you will need to go into the PlayBack engine in PTF and select it as your sound device.

Another solution, which is a pain to install, is to use the ASIO driver that comes with FL Studio. The pain part is that you need to download the trial version of FL Studio and install it in order to get the driver. Many find that their ASIO driver works better and is easier to use than ASIO4ALL. You can find a tutorial about it HERE.

Again, if you choose to go this route, remember that you will have to select it in the PlayBack engine in PTF.

System Details
Old 07-02-2021, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
PTF is pretty limited when it comes to using the internal sound device on your computer.

You can have a look at this Sweetwater article on How to Set Up ASIO4ALL. It may help you get things configured properly.

Also remember that after you install ASIO4ALL, you will need to go into the PlayBack engine in PTF and select it as your sound device.

Another solution, which is a pain to install, is to use the ASIO driver that comes with FL Studio. The pain part is that you need to download the trial version of FL Studio and install it in order to get the driver. Many find that their ASIO driver works better and is easier to use than ASIO4ALL. You can find a tutorial about it HERE.

Again, if you choose to go this route, remember that you will have to select it in the PlayBack engine in PTF.
Okay, thanks for the ideas. I'm currently trying a different solution directly in Sibelius, which will remove my need for a DAW, but will try your suggestions in the near future.
Thanks again.