Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2002, 07:32 AM

Default Getting a ProTools song to iTunes

This may seem very elementary, but can someone tell me how to get a song recorded on the ProTools LE on Mac to the iTunes. Thanks
Old 02-10-2002, 07:52 AM

Default Re: Getting a ProTools song to iTunes

1. Bounce your song to disk (or record your song to a new stereo track) as a 16 bit/44.1 file so you have your master. For demo purposes use the BTD command in the file menu, and you'll have all the file formats available to you. It doesn't matter if its an aiff, sd2, or wav file, but I usuallly use aiff. Name it "song.aiff" and make a note of where the file resides, or just have it save it to your desktop.

2. Open itunes. Select "add to library" under the file menu, and steer the finder to your song.aiff file. Click choose.

3. You're done. itunes will play your 16 bit/44.1 file EVEN if its an aiff/wav/sd2 and not an MP3. In fact you can use itunes to convert to mp3 if you didn't buy the mp3 export option.

Cool itunes tip. You can tell it in the preferences, when importing to save stuff as 16bit/44.1 - itunes just became an audio extractor. Now the files (say off your newest drum loop CD) can be imported (or import/converted) into your latest projects. And you can use iTunes to preview them.

REALLY COOL iPOD tip (I did this on my own, but saw that SOS wrote this up as well) - Transfer all your mixes as 16 bit/44.1 files to your ipod (yes it will play them, but obviously you wont get 1000 songs on it, more like 150 or so). Now you have "CD quality" versions of all your stuff on your iPod, for the next time the A+R guy sees you, or that band that you want to produce - they can listen to everything right then and there. I use it to check my mixes, and show collaborators what I am doing. I can even envision a day in the pro studios, where everyone takes their own iPod mixes home to check out.
Old 02-10-2002, 08:04 AM

Default Re: Getting a ProTools song to iTunes

Great tip, Frank! Exactly what I needed too!