Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Default How do I import reference guide to 7.3?

I have been trying to open up folders on my desktop, anything with 7.3 named in it.
After I open up 7.3 .....On the help toolbar:
I can not get the reference guide in my help drop down, all the stuff in there is not working except the pro tools info where it lists all the designer credits etc..

Seems like all this stuff should have loaded up when I did my upgrade...
Old 04-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Default Re: How do I import reference guide to 7.3?

There is a documentation installer for host based systems in the download section. This will install all of the relevant documents in your start menus Protools folder, Unfortunatly the drop down help menus in LE for Windows haven't worked for some time.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 05-07-2007, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Unfortunatly the drop down help menus in LE for Windows haven't worked for some time.
You're kidding right? A company that sells software with such an expensive dongle can not even get their help files working??? Isn't that just about the easiest thing to fix? For $700+ I expect my software to work flawlessly. Especially that part.

Everybody around me tells me how fantastic Pro Tools is and that it is the de facto Industry standard in America. I cannot escape the notion however that studio owners and engineers here are poorly informed where software is concerned. It all boils down to the same old Windows vs Apple song again, except now it is the "Pro Tools vs the Rest" mantra... Yuck! I have never seen anything so basic fail in the competition that sells software without dongles. Sonar and FL Studio come to mind.

Has Digidesign any time schedule as to when this will be fixed? What do you mean by "for some time" How long has 'Help' been broken already?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Has Digidesign any time schedule as to when this will be fixed? What do you mean by "for some time" How long has 'Help' been broken already?
It worked in 6.9 - 7.3 installs the PDF's into a folder on your hard drive somewhere - do a search for PDF's and you will find them all - mine also had a Windows start menu item that listed them.

I asked, they said acknowledged bug. I upgraded to .3cs and .3cs1 still no fix.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:35 PM

The help PDF files (when installed properly from the Pro Tools disk installer, or from the necessary separate installer for downloaded updates) are all still available from the start menu in windows.

While it may be an easy programming fix (I wouldn't know, I've never programmed code for Pro Tools; have you?) I'm glad they have been focusing on fixing the real bugs in the program.

I have to agree, though; this should have been fixed several cs versions ago, IMHO.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 AM

Quote:
The help PDF files (when installed properly from the Pro Tools disk installer, or from the necessary separate installer for downloaded updates) are all still available from the start menu in windows.
Perish the thought, that is not the point at all. Help files should be available from within an application's environment. I should not ever have to be sniffing around an operating system to find stuff that should be part of an actual installation.

Quote:
While it may be an easy programming fix (I wouldn't know, I've never programmed code for Pro Tools; have you?) I'm glad they have been focusing on fixing the real bugs in the program.
Have you programmed at all? How hard can it be to add a couple links in the HELP module (an OOP object)? This is standard fare in all windows programming, not just Protools. The help object is a 2 minute afterthought that requires no specific programming skill, all it does is point to another file, pretty much like a hyperlink in html.

Quote:
I have to agree, though; this should have been fixed several cs versions ago, IMHO.
At least we agree on something. Even Microsoft would not dare put out anything without a working help section. At the price that Digidesign charges for this product this should not even be an issue.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:24 AM

Yeah, this is somewhat of an irritating bug. I also don't know why it is not easily fixed. I'm guessing the problem is with rewriting the installer rather than the actual OOP call. I'm not making excuses but I suppose Digidesign is focusing their resources on trying to make a Microsoft Windows Vista (32 bit and/or 64 bit version) compatible version by this summer. They've admitted that the Protools core code is older and requires more effort to retool than newer products from competitors. Having managed software development projects, bugs and enhancements are often prioritized by two factors, priority (how important is it) and severity (what is the impact of the issue). Although this may be a medium priority, it is probably a low severity, given that that there is a "work around." It is a bug nevertheless.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1