Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2008, 10:08 PM

Default How do I remove my mbox 2 chassis??

A couple weeks ago I had a TRS connector basically fall apart inside one of the inputs on my Mbox 2. I've taken a few attempts at fishing the parts out, but to no avail. Now the mic and line-in inputs on that channel won't work either. I NEED to get this thing out.

I removed all the screws on the back of the box in an attempt to disassemble the chassis and get at those bits, but I couldn't figure out how to actually get inside. Can somebody help me?
Old 05-28-2009, 07:09 PM

Default Re: How do I remove my mbox 2 chassis??

did you end up finding a way inside your mbox? The tip of a 1/4 inch cable fell off inside of the headphone jack on mine today.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM

It's gonna be ugly but doable. I had the headphone jack break on mine a couple years back. There are some screws in back that can be removed, but it's the face plate that is the problem. IIRC it's plastic welded, so those will have to be undone, and of course you won't be able to redo them. Once you've dealt with that and pulled off the knobs you can get inside and replace jacks. They are PC board mounts but I used a good old switchcraft jack for my phones replacement...there should be room to do that if you want a bomb proof fix, otherwise swap with new PC board jacks. Reassembling will be tricky but once you've got it back together you'll be good to go. Ours is still working fine 2 or 3 years later... it won't be as pretty and will look a bit "modded" but WTH!

Final thought: work slowly and make sure you know how it comes apart and/or make notes for the reassembly. You will need a small saw and/or Dremel and a utility knife. This unit was not the best design DIGI ever approved, and in fact if you compare it to the later MB Mini, that unit is very well designed for assembly/disassembly and is in fact a very pro little box in this regard.

Wilson

Wilson Dyer MPSE
Sound Supervisor: NCIS Los Angeles, CBS Television
Old 07-15-2009, 04:47 AM

Don't bother. There's a very simple solution:
Just insert a long screw and turn it ("Screw it") with your fingers,
until it's screwed into the stucked part. Then pull them out.
You might need to make some trials. Definitelly you'll have to find the right thickness of the screw. You may also have to additionally insert a pin in order to take aside the tiny contact metal that can block the way
out.

Koby.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:32 PM

I had the same thing happen to my Input 1 on a mbox 2 pro. I fished out some parts, but the screw trick worked for the last bit, which was the very tip of the plug. I had to try three difference screw sizes, and use a screwdriver to push in a little as I turned the screw before it grabbed the tip enough to pull it out.