Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2006, 07:57 AM

Default Error creating file 1008:5,-5000 access denied

Just a quick note in case it can save someone five days of frustration. I just got a Digi 002 rack with the factory bundle software. I installed Pro Tools 6.9.2 with no problem. I had no trouble installing a lot of other software, like Logic, Photoshop, Final Cut, etc., etc. But then I tried to install the 002 factory bundle software, I always got the message "error creating file 1008:5,-5000 access denied error" -- don't get me started on why engineers have to use this useless code . . . why can't they give us an error message that helps pinpoint the problem?

Anyway, here is what fixed it for me: I went to the system drive, then the Library folder, then the Application Support folder, then the Digidesign folder, then the Plug-ins folder. With the Plug-ins folder selected, hit command-i to open the "get info" window. At the bottom of that window is a pop-up called ownership. I changed that from system to my name. If that section is grayed out, you will probably have to unlock it by being in the Mac administrator account.

Before that I had tried everything Digidesign suggested, so maybe that might work, too, though it didn't for me:

The 5000 error is definitely a permissions issue and a Mac OS error
being reported by Pro Tools.

FileVault must be disabled. Go to System Preferences, Security, and
turn off FileVault. If you are still having problems try the
following.

Try adjusting the permissions of all mounted non boot hard drives to
solve the problem.

To do this, select each volume and choose Get Info from the File
Menu. Then make sure that the Ownership & Permissions settings are
set in this manner:

Owner: xxxx (Me)
Access: Read & Write

Group: admin
Access: Read & Write

Others: Read & Write

Also make sure "Ignore ownership on this volume" is deselected.

You should also run repair disk permission on the system drive. If
you continue to have problems you should uninstall Pro Tools, create
a new user account with admin privileges, and install pro Tools into
this account.

There are also these Digidesign suggestions:

GENERAL OS X TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS:

- Delete Pro Tools preferences. Go to Users > “your user name” > Library > Preferences and delete 'com.digidesign.protools.plist', DAE Prefs (folder), DigiSetup.OSX and Pro Tools preferences. Empty trash, then restart the computer.

- Quit Pro Tools and launch Apple's "Disk Utility" application, located in MacHD>Applications>Utilities. Select your boot drive (the whole drive, not the volume underneath the drive), go to First Aid and select "Repair Disk Permisions." Apple recommends doing this any time you install new software, update your OS or reinstall any software.

- Delete the Digidesign Databases folders on all mounted hard drives, then delete the "Volumes" folder in MacHD > Library > Application Support > Digidesign > Databases. Empty trash, then restart the computer.

- Uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools by running the Pro Tools installer from your CD-ROM or web download. Click on the Custom Install menu and choose "Uninstall". Click continue and then choose the option for "Clean" uninstall (included in Pro Tools 6.2.3 or higher). Click OK when it reports that the uninstall was successfull and then reinstall Pro Tools.

- Run the Digidesign Plug-in Validator. Pro Tools 6.2.3 throught 6.9 includes this utility to help you check qualification of your plug-in versions. Go to Applications > Digidesign > Pro Tools > Pro Tools utilities folder and launch the utility. Manually remove any unqualified plug-ins from your plug-ins folder. For those using Pro Tools 7, please use the compatibility grid or the manufacturers website to determine plug-in compatibility with Pro Tools 7.

- Try creating a new user with admin privileges in System Preferences > Accounts. To do this, click on the '+' sign under the left hand panel, complete all the necessary information, then click on the 'Security' tab and check the box for 'Allow this user to administer this computer'. Then restart and login to this new account (you may need to turn off auto login in the Accounts control panel or set it to login to the new account) and run Pro Tools. If everything runs fine in the new account, it could be a user preference in the original account that is causing the crash. You may need to determine which preference it is and remove it, migrate everything over to the new account or just use the new account to run Pro Tools and use the original account for everything else.

- Disable any Virus Protection Software. Check for evidence of anti-virus software in Library > Startup items. Move these items out of this folder and restart the computer (do NOT remove the DigidesignLoader or PACESupport folders).

- Remove any unnecessary USB/FW devices or any other extraneous hardware and then restart the computer.

- In System Preferences > Accounts > Your Account > Startup Items, make sure that no offending software is being loaded.

. . . anyway, thanks to the Digidesign forum, because in searching for "error creating file 1008:5,-5000 access denied," I found just two or three posts in the past two years. One of them included the tip about changing the ownership of the plug-ins folder to your own name.