Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Drum samples and sequencers

I've been using Fruity Loops as my primary drum sequencer (also using the drum samples within the progam which aren't so hot, but not terrible). I've tried converting to reason for ease of use issues through protools but it's just not going to happen. I'm much too comfortable within FL. Heres my issue. I've been running FL and my soft synths from a dell through SPDIF into my PT system on my allenstein. This is degrading the quality due to the soundblaster drive that my dell uses. So im planning on dumping the dell and running my soft synth through FL and FL into PT all on the allenstein pc. I hope to god this works and was wondering
1)if anyone has seen this done before. And two,
2) Where can I pick up some good samples to use within FL?

Thanks for any advice
Jon
Old 01-12-2005, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Drum samples and sequencers

i use FL studio for my drums as well. here's what i do; export your drums and other instruments as wav. files when your finished with them in fl studio. then you can import them using the import audoi to track in protools. since i like to mix all of my drums on an auxilory bus i will import individual instrumensts' wav. files, i.e. snare to one track, kick to another, high, mid-high, mid, and low toms all get individual tracks and so on. the way you do this is mute all the instruments except the one you want to export and then hit the export button in fl studio name the track and your off. it's a bit cumbersome but i havn't figured out how to do it any other way. since fl studio is rewire capable you can run it at the same time as protools and flip back and forth or you could run it as a plugin on an aux track and then record everthing to an audio track. i had the same problem with reason, i didn't like composing drums in redrum either. i feel that constructing a song in fl studio has more freedom. the fl studio web site has a link to some decent sample cd's that are fairly inexpensive. another suggestion is start messing around with midi. drawing in notes on a midi track in protools is a lot like drawing in notes in the fl studio step sequencer only it has some advantages in that you can draw in 1/62 notes (instead of just 16th notes) so you can create more complex parts like gohst strokes and things of that nature. you can do this in fl studio i know but it's a little more complicated. the sample tank drums aren't to bad either. hope this helps.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:23 PM

Default Re: Drum samples and sequencers

I figured thats what I would eventually have to do, is to export through FL as .wav and then load each sample into PT. What a pain though, if I want to change a section you have to do the process all over again, or worse a tempo change :P Thanks for the info. I've thought about exporting and individual drum hit from FL and using midi in PT for the hit (The people who make FL so nicely made their samples unreadable in their current form by other programs), but then I'm still stuck with the FL samples which is what I was trying to get away from in the first place.

Anybody else share what drum samples they use? I'm not willing to admit my drum lines are cheesy, its the samples fault....
Adam